It is with great sadness that I inform this community of the death of Richard
Reyment, who passed away at his home in Sollentuna, Sweden, just outside
Stockholm, on 30 March. A brief autobiography of Richard’s life and work is
available at: http://richardreyment.com/index.html. I would not presume to
improve on the information he has already provided there other than to add that
he was my good friend, a valued colleague and true intellectual of unusually
broad interests, abilities and accomplishments. I often wince when I hear
someone described as a “polymath” these days as the term has become devalued
through overuse. However, Richard was a genuine polymath as his bibliography
all too readily attests. Over a career that spanned more than half a century
Richard assimilated a vast body of knowledge of about quantitative data
analysis, morphometrics, palaeontology, geology and a variety of other fields
by remaining an active and engaged researcher as well as a teacher, editor,
author and administrator. In pursuing these interests he had the good fortune
to be able to undertake this assimilation piece-by-piece, paper-by-paper,
book-by-book as these fields were developing; through their heydays at it were.
Now, there is simply too much information being published by too many people on
too many topics to allow anyone to develop the sort of synoptic understanding
Richard achieved for even a single speciality, much less half-a-dozen. People
like Richard are now passing from the scene. That is a tragedy for us all.
Possibly with one or two rare exceptions, we’ll not see their like again.

Richard’s daughter Britt-Louse has informed me that his funeral will be held in
the next few weeks and will be attended only by the family.

Norm MacLeod

Professor Norman MacLeod
Dean of Postgraduate Education and Training
The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD
(0)207 942-5204 (Office Landline)
(0)785 017-1787 (Mobile)
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted_sites/paleonet/MacLeod/

Department of Earth Sciences, University College
London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK

Nanjing Institute of Geology & Palaeontology,
Chinese Academy of Sciences, 39 Beijing, Donglu, Nanjing, China