Senator Higgins:  Urban Ventures is the organization promoting the
Colin Powell Youth Center.  I'm curious about why you have supported
this use of Government funds.

from:

http://www.heartlandsynod.org/NewFiles/PIP.html

Urban Ventures, Minneapolis, MN
 THE MINISTRY:

Urban Ventures serves the Central and Phillips neighborhoods of south
central Minneapolis. The area has the highest crime rates in the
metropolitan area, and is plagued with prostitution, drugs and alcohol
dependency, father absence and violence.

EY:  Thanks alot to Urban Ventures.  It really doesn't help to have
them promoting the Central neighborhood in this manner.

The description continues:
Rev. Tim Overweg is the Director of Leadership Development for Urban
Ventures. The goal of Leadership Development is to develop students
who by their senior year in high school are so committed to Jesus
Christ that they can survive and thrive in any environment.

Every week James and Allen come to Urban Ventures for Bible Study,
tutoring and meals with Tim and his family, and some basketball in the
driveway! These two boys and many others are targeted by the
Leadership Development staff for Bible study and discipleship,
Scripture memory, mentoring, leadership development, retreats, summer
camping and community service.

EY:  I find it interesting that the Minneapolis delegation:  Senator
Linda Higgins, Senator Linda Berglin, Represenatative Neva Walker and
Rep. Martin Sabo are supporting public funding for an organization
such as this.  If Sabo is in support of something like this, he
should also support Bush's faith based initiative.  I'm curious
whether it's clear that "Bible study and discipleship, Scripture
memory, mentoring, leadership development, retreats, summer camping
and community service." are not going to be part of what the state
and federal funds are going for.

Ventura should veto this puppy as soon as it reaches his desk.

Eva Young
Central Neighborhood
Minneapolis