From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Greg Abbott
Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2004 10:00 PM
To: Issues Forum Mpls
Subject: Re: [Mpls] Park Board Five continue their mockery of taxpayers
and process

Just an observation - all three of the city-wide park commissioners
(Young, Berry Graves, and Erwin) are in the minority, and the majority
of five is composed of five of the six district commissioners (1, 2, 3,
5, and 6).

IMHO this division between city-wide and district commissioners
illustrates the need for some structural changes in the park board.
Perhaps the city-wide commissioners should constitute a majority of the
board, to prevent parochial interests from log-rolling their way to
control of the board.  We could simply reduce the park board from 9
members to 5, with 3 at-large members, one north side district member,
and one south side district member.

Without some reform, continuation of these antics puts the independence
of the park board at risk.

Greg Abbott
---
Greg Abbott
Linden Hills
13th ward

REMINDERS:
1. Think a member has violated the rules? Email the list manager at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] before continuing it on the list.

For state and national discussions see:
http://e-democracy.org/discuss.html

Minneapolis Issues Forum - A City-focused Civic Discussion - Mn