At 04:11 PM 1/8/2004, David Brauer wrote:
I know there was a lot of interest in Scott Russell's Park Board stories,
which are now out in today's SW Journal and online. Here are the links:

Anatomy of the vote: http://www.swjournal.com/display/inn_news/news01.txt

After all the Park Board hullaballo, I decided to attend yesterday's meeting. I was hoping for a reenactment of the Circus. There wasn't much of that. Though the politically correct discussion about calling "Snow Guns" "Snow making machines" was rather surreal. I saw several list members at the meeting: Mary Belfry for one - and learned that Mary is another *****gasp****** republican. Guess we are all over the place here. Mary spoke eloquently about the conflicts of interest involving Brian Rice. She mentioned the SW Journal story on this - and his contributions to Park Board members during this testimony. I thought her suggestion that the Park Board use the City Attorney rather than outsourcing to the Rice firm for both legal advice and lobbying to be especially on point. I believe Mary will be posting her testimony here.

Ann Berget spoke about the contract (which I post below). Arlene Fried also spoke - and at her request, I post her comments to the list below.

Annie Young brought up the issue of putting the meeting on Cable TV. She destributed information from a March 20, 2002 Study Report on Broadcasting MPRB Board Meetings.

From looking at this, I think I would prefer either the digital audio broadcast or webcast option. I personally think the tapes from the Gurban hiring meeting, and last Friday's meeting get digitized.

Bob Fine made a resolution to start the Superintendent Search Process in July. Annie Young made a substitute motion to start the process earlier - February - I believe. Annie has her motion on disk - so perhaps she can post it here. The substitute motion passed - 5-3 I think - Hauser, Fine and Dziedzic opposing. Then Annie Young's motion passed - 8-0.

I would also challenge the Park Board to request a cost comparison of doing Cable Broadcasting from City Council Chambers to Cable Broadcasting from the Park Board building.

The late Commissioner Ed Solomon will get a Park named after him. Annie Young had "process concerns" about that.

From the Russell Article:

Money Quotes from Walt Dziedzic:

The expedited process produced at least one case of buyer's remorse. Shortly after the vote, the StarTribune reported that the state Gambling Control Board pulled MRPA's charitable gambling license in 1998 because of pull tab management problems. Dziedzic said had he known Dec. 17 of the charitable gambling issue, he probably would not have voted for Gurban. "I don't think we have a choice now," Dziedzic said, adding that Gurban has one year to prove himself. "The contract has been signed. We signed a $112,000 contract."

<snip>

Dziedzic -- who voted for Gurban -- called the pull-tab issue "fairly significant." He helped bring charitable gambling to some East Side bars, he said. Since the story surfaced, he has talked to friends in the industry. He went to the Gambling Control Board, paid his $6 and got a copy of the report, he said.

"The totality of it was -- had I known about it beforehand -- it might have changed my vote. Yes, I probably would have."

EY: The contract was signed by Bob Fine, Brian Rice and Jon Gurban. I'm curious whether Fine had the authority to negotiate and sign this contract - and whether the contract has to be approved by the board.

This is what the Contract says:

AGREEMENT

THIS AGREEMENT entered into this 30th day of December, 2003, by and between the MINNEAPOLIS PARK AND RECREATION BOARD (herinafter "BOARD") and Jon Gurban (hereinafter "GURBAN").

WHEREAS, THE BOARD desires to employ GURBAN as its Superintendent, and,

WHEREAS, GURBAN agrees to be employed by the BOARD as a professional fulltime Superintendent:

IT IS HEREBY AGREED AS FOLLOWS:

1. THE BOARD agrees to employ GURBAN as Superintendent of the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board for the period commencing January 1, 2004 to December 31, 2004.

2. GURBAN agrees to perform the functions and duties of the Superintendent during the above-stated period according to applicable laws, ordinances, rules, resolutions and policies as set by the BOARD.

3. GURBAN shall receive $112,200 annually for the period of Janurary 1, 2004 to December 31, 2004 for the performance of his duties, unless terminated or modified by the BOARD or GURBAN in accordance with paragraph 8.

4. The BOARD shall allow GURBAN seven (7) days per annum for professional development.

5. The BOARD shall supply GURBAN with all hospitalization, pension, life insurance, sick leave, vacation, and all other benefits afforded all other employees of the BOARD, unless specifically excluded by other provisions of the Agreement.

6. The BOARD shall provide a vehicle stipend of $250.00 monthly.

7. GURBAN agrees to maintain his principal residence within the corporate limits of the city of Minneapolis during the entire term of the contract.

8. At any time this Agreement may be terminated or modified by the mutal consent of both parties.

JON GURBAN

Attested to Legality by: Brian Rice

THE MINNEAPOLIS PARK AND RECREATION BOARD

By Bob Fine (its president)

By ?????? (Its Secretary)

I'm not familiar enough with the Park Board site to find meeting minutes. Are minutes available of the meeting where Gurban was hired? I'm curious whether the vote was on hiring Gurban - and approving this contract? It seems like no, since the contract was signed on December 30? Did the motion delegate to Fine to negotiate the contract - with no board oversight.

The other thing I find curious about the contract is most of the contract talked about what the Park Board was going to do for Gurban, and not what Gurban was going to do for the Parks.

Arlene Fried's Statement at Open Time - posted here at her request:

I want to point out that this is the first regular Park Board meeting since December 17 when Jon Gurban was hired as superintendent by the Park Board with a five to four vote.

Therefore, this is the first SCHEDULED opportunity for the public to react to the board regarding this unprecedented rabbit-out-of-the-hat method of selecting a superindentent.

I, therefore, believe that it is both appropriate and timelly to point out that perhaps all of this unpleasant and embarrasing controversy might have been avoided had the majority coalition, who were responsible for Mr. Gurban's appointment, permitted the public to have met Mr. Gurban at a public forum at a public forum and permitted the media to have interviewed him prior to the signing of his one-year contract.

Then we ALL could have learned more about Mr. Gurban and would have been able to determine for ourselves if, indeed, he is as well-qualified as Bob Fine claims.

I fail to grasp that the idea advanced by Mr. Fine that Mr. Gurban's presence as superintendent was so very urgent that it required such astonishing actions by the park board commissioners.

Arlene Fried

EY: As far as sending a letter to the editor of SW Journal on the stories. Somehow, I doubt that Editor Brauer would publish a letter to the editor by yours truly.

Eva Young
Near North
Minneapolis
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Blog is up:
http://lloydletta.blogspot.com

REMINDERS:
1. Think a member has violated the rules? Email the list manager at [EMAIL PROTECTED] before continuing it on the list. 2. Don't feed the troll! Ignore obvious flame-bait.