Well, this morning I saw that the mudslinging from the swamps of the Park Board continued to be thrown about in today's Star Trib.  Because I have decided to try to "rise above the fray" I will not go back and forth on who's right - who's wrong (ore he said, she said) anymore on these issues. Scott Russell' SW Journal articles are fair and objective - I appreciate his thoroughness in trying to get angles from both sides of the coin.

However, something that I don't think has been pointed out (or questioned)  by anyone since Dec. 17th is the insistence of the majority that we were in a time crunch and had to have a Supt. by the end of the year no matter what. Pleeeaase! I personally know and believe that we can operate the parks just fine for awhile without a Supt. - we have 4 very qualified Assistant Supts. and loads of competent, qualified staff who would have kept (and will keep) things rolling right along just fine. Or one of the Ass'ts could have been Interim for awhile - whatever, there were other options then the way this was done, obviously. And certainly wouldn't have created this level of hysteria.

In regards to Lisa's comment on benefits. Yes, it is nice having the coverage but believe me we like everyone else have had dramatic changes in our health care benefits and like everyone else will begin paying higher co-pays and paying for other things that once were covered (because the City changed carriers this year).  And the point about Dental... our dental policy is no great shakes.  It equals $750 for the year - after that we pay - other than getting one's teeth cleaned what else can you do at the dentist that is less than $750.

Sorry we disappointed Eva by the circus not continuing but appreciate her complete coverage of last nite's meeting - snowmaking machines and all. It takes our secretary some time to get the minutes typed up and then they don't go on line until approved since there might be corrections by Board members.  And our current secretary does an outstanding job of doing them in a very timely manner.  Several years back we were month's behind in seeing the minutes so corrections were never made because who could remember what had happened.  Fortunately, that problem was corrected.  But give Diane a break - she is a secretary to nine (9) of us, doing tasks we need done besides Board meeting minutes  - and as you all have witnessed she works for a really easy bunch of cats to corral into the barn.

There is no Board meeting next week ( no committee of the whole business) so with a two week reprieve maybe some civility will return to the decorum of the Board.  Enjoy the break - we all will!

Annie Young
citywide Park Commissioner

Annie Young
Looking at hope more hopefully!