On 05/07/2017 03:05 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2017-05-07 08:20, Martin Schreiber wrote:
>> MSElang has been designed as a high performance language so it can't be so
>> simple.
> Huh? Java is an excellent performance language. Please ignore all statements
> on the Internet older than say 5 years. The Java language has come a long
> way, and
> is *very* fast now. In fact, it actually generates binary code that is
> magnitudes faster than what FPC can achieve. I've recently proved this in
> the Lazarus Forum, and no amounts of "tweaks" or obscure coding methods in
> Object Pascal or FPC compiler options could come close to the performance I
> saw in Java 8.
Hey Martin!

Although Graeme fails to take into account the platforms where Java is
interpreted and its many other stupidities he does have a good test case. I
think I stirred up to the pot on the FPC mail list as best as I can and
using Graeme's code proved that FPC has a *HUGE* weakness in the floating
point arena. And actually my Delphi compiler for Linux (Kylix v3) didn't do
much better. Seems to me I remember that being the case from my Delphi
windoze days too. Fortunately I avoid floating-point math and typically
don't need it. And in the cases where I do... actually the only fractional
values I have dealt with in a long time is money and I use the currency
type which doesn't really count. :-) IEEE floating-point is hideous for that.

If MSElang is far enough along it would be interesting to see what it can
do with with Graeme's ray-caster. I've dumbed it down to <300 lines and
removed the external SDL dependency so it can be run as a raw computational
benchmark.

If you have the time to perform a translation and want to give it a whirl
the reduced code is at https://github.com/jafcobend/fpcflop in the
"mctest.pas"

Although many on the FPC mailing list seem content to come up with excuses
or blame Graeme for poor design it seems to me the real questions is: Why
is x/y, when both are declared as singles, sooooo much slower in FPC then
it is in language X. So I'd really like to see how MSElang scores in this
arena. I've been contemplating some game scenarios and I've been keeping my
eye out for an improved language. Maybe I should get on board with MSElang.

Anyhow, if you take on the challenge please CC my email address below. I'm
going to try and avoid the mail lists and newsgroups for a while. I need to
go earn a living and these things have soaked up a ton of time. :-D

- Jon

--
Sent from my Debian Linux laptop
Jon Foster