As I get back into doing something useful (i.e., maintain/evolve mspgcc),
I'm proposing the following release process to help ensure stability while
promoting innovation and decreasing maintenance overhead:

  Certain releases of mspgcc will be marked as "Long Term Support".  These
  releases include well-tested sets of patches against specific versions of
  upstream packages like gcc and binutils.  The maintenance promise for LTS
  releases is that reproducible "significant" bugs for which a
  non-disruptive fixes can be identified will be fixed and patches supplied
  which can be applied on top of the patches provided in the corresponding
  mspgcc release.

  Other releases should be considered development snapshots.  They may be
  based on development (unversioned) snapshots of upstream tools.  No
  official patches will be released for these, and support for them ends on
  the release of the next version of mspgcc.

  Downstream packagers should publish only LTS releases, and should
  periodically check for new patches to be integrated into their packages
  (though I'll try to announce them periodically).  Patches are archived on
  the patches branch of the mspgcc repository, and are published for
  individual download at in Files/Patches on SourceForge.  Such patches will
  also be committed to the release branches on the gcc/binutils/gdb git
  repositories.

20110716 will be treated as an LTS release.  Patches for the following
reported issues are now available at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mspgcc/files/Patches/LTS/20110716/

SF 3370978: ICE on shift with 32-bit count
SF 3379341: non-empty ARCH environment variable results unusable ld