From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Adam Juelich
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 4:07 PM
To: mssms@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: Re: [mssms] Maintenance Windows & Restart Behavior

Thanks, Mike.

So you guys strictly use Windows Embedded?  If you have traditional clients,
how do you manage them differently?

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 2:27 PM, Marable, Mike
<mmara...@med.umich.edu<mailto:mmara...@med.umich.edu>> wrote:
Hi Adam,

1.       Maintenance Windows

a.       We use these only on our embedded devices and not on traditional
clients.  We have a window set once a week (like 2 am on Sunday mornings) so
that SCCM turns off the write filter on the device, runs our deployments and
then re-enables the write filter.

2.       Restart Behavior / Communications

a.       We actually have written our own utility to handle reboots.  It allows
us to display a message to the end user, countdown timer, users can delay the
reboot, we can have it check for running executables before attempting to
reboot, etc.

b.       We have agreements in place with critical areas, such as emergency
rooms, and other 24hour clinics to limit reboots to specific days and times.
Otherwise the understanding with the users is that we will do our deployments
and maintenance outside of business hours.  Combine that with our reboot tool
and the users are pretty happy.

We do use WOL very heavily.  Different clinics have varying office hours/days
and we have collections set up to wake machines up about 15 minutes before the
beginning of business for them.  We’ve been very successful with that.  The WOL
issues that we have run into in the past have usually been attributed to either
mis-configured BIOs settings or users hard-powering off machines.

Mike