I'm currently in the process of upgrading my SCCM 2012 R2 sp1 install to
SCCM CB. Thus far I've upgraded to 1610 with little problem. However I
cannot upgrade to 1702 because I am running Server 2008 R2 with SQL 2008.

My question is; What are everyone's thoughts on upgrading the server
operating system and the SQL install for the purpose of bring my SCCM up to
1702?

I have created a process that works using my test environment (an almost
perfect mirror of production) and my test environment seems to be running ok
for about a week now. I would rather not bring up a new server and
completely re-create my SCCM environment if I can help it. Below is
essentially the process I used in my test environment.

1)      Upgrade server OS to Server 2012 (it sucks that I cannot upgrade to
server 2016 from server 2008)

2)      Upgrade SQL to 2016 (worked surprisingly well)

3)      Upgrade server OS to Server 2016

4)      Upgrade SCCM to 1702

Obviously there are a few things in between but that's the heart of it.

What are everyone's thoughts on the full upgrade process?

Has anyone done this kind of upgrade before?

Thanks,

Uriah Patton

Systems Administrator

IU School of Medicine

Department of Pediatrics

"It gives patience, to listen to error without anger." -Gandalf