Why not use the built in Upgrade Operating System step? Works great!

[cid:image001.png@01D2C4DC.7C83FE40]

Daniel Ratliff

From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Hanley, Kevin
Sent: Thursday, May 4, 2017 1:34 PM
To: mssms@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: [mssms] Windows 10 1607 Upgrade Task Sequence using custom setup.exe
command line

Hello,

We are trying to update our Windows 10 1511 machines to 1607 using the Upgrade
Task Sequence in ConfigMgr CB 1606.

We have a third-party encryption product on laptops so we need to use a custom
command line for Setup.EXE and cannot use the canned "Upgrade Operating System"
action.

We are trying to use a "Run Command Line" to run the following:

%W10UPGRADEPATH01%\setup.exe /quiet /Auto Upgrade /DynamicUpdate disable
/InstallDrivers %W10DRIVERS01% /ReflectDrivers "C:\Program Files\Encryption"
/copylogs
\\server\share\Logs\W10_1607_Upgrade\%COMPUTERNAME%<file://server/share/Logs/W10_1607_Upgrade/%25COMPUTERNAME%25>
 /noreboot /postoobe "C:\windows\smstspostupgrade\setupcomplete.cmd"

We can make the Task Sequence run pre-checks and then kick off this command
line but the machine does not finish the Post-Processing steps of the Task
Sequence (e.g., Install Updates, etc.).

Has anyone reverse engineered a way of doing this?

We have tried:

1.       Not using /postpoobe switch and task sequence never moves onto
Post-Processing steps

2.       Using /Postoobe switch and copying what setupcomplete.cmd that SCCM is
using to c:\windows\smstspostupgrade. This leads to tsmbootstrap.exe running
and saying "there is a task sequence already running"

3.       Using /Postoobe switch and copying setupcomplete.cmd that SCCM is
using to c:\windows\setup\scripts. This leads to tsmbootstrap.exe running and
saying "there is a task sequence already running"

4.       Setting SMSTSRBOOTREQUESTED variable but it still does not continue
running task sequence

5.       Adding Restart Computer action

6.       Removing Restart Computer action

7.       Using "Upgrade Operating System" action instead of Run Command Line
with exact same task sequence and it works

I see that several folks have requested this for future revisions of ConfigMgr
but I'm disappointed that this was not foreseen by MS.

Thanks,
Kevin

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact
the sender and delete the material from any computer.

Bain Capital, LP
Boston, MA  USA
+1 (617) 516 2000

it is addressed
and may contain CONFIDENTIAL material.  If you receive this
material/information in error,