From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Edward Woo
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 4:48 PM
To: mssms@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: [mssms] RE: Hardware Inventory

While SW inventory is basically a file inventory and the recommendation is to
use HW inventory, how do you handle software that do not write data into
Add/Remove Programs like open source software that are installed using ZIP
files? (Eg. Apache Tomcat, Apache Maven, Eclipse, etc) Do you need to manually
create CI for every application or is there a more automated way to determine
what is present on the systems out there? (With SW inventory, I can just look
for all systems with eclipse.exe and use that info to see how many instances of
it is present and where they are presently stored.)

Thanks,

Edward