Here are a couple of things to check.  Does your Nagios server have a valid and matching forward and inverse DNS entries?  Does it use that name in it's SMTP HELO greeting?  Is the mail server on the monitoring system otherwise configured to "follow all of the rules" when it comes to SMTP?  The pager (and SMS) email gateways have been adding anti-spam measures that can "catch" monitoring systems that aren't normally mail servers.  The inverse DNS requirement affects several of the gateways, but I don't remember specifically about Metrocall.

I would try checking the mail logs on the monitoring system for clues on why it isn't getting through.  If you know enough about the SMTP protocol, telnetting to port 25 and entering the first few commands by hand will show any responses if the SMTP logs aren't detailed enough.  (Someone should write an SMTP debugger script to help identify common issues.)

This wouldn't be your problem, but for awhile the AT&T SMS gateway was blocking any messages that had URLs.  The mail was accepted by their server, but just dumped into a black hole.  As a workaround, we modified our notify script to strip the http: using awk.  (Cingular has changed the gateway so I don't know if they still do it.  I hope not, since I plan to replace my phone with a Windows Mobile unit and would sure like to use URLs from messages.)

From: Justin Craig [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:43 AM
To: David Maynard; Nagios Users Mailinglist
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] host-notify-by-epager

On 7/19/06, Justin Craig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I can send myself a test page from any email client via @page.metrocall.com .  So it is working....

What's weird is I can relay off localhost (nagios) to my gmail.com email account.

Why can't my nagios server send outside?  I looked at the firewall and I see the source address coming into the inside interface, but it never leaves the outside interface, so I need to punch a whole for port 25.  I'd rather not do that and just relay off our outbound mail server.  Can anyone help me with that?

Thanks,
Justin