Hi Martin,

The escalation_options don't take the state into consideration during the
notification count. So if you have an escalate rule on the 4th notification
and only escalate on Critical in the escalation_options then following
scenario is can occur:
You have 3 warning notifications and the 4th is Critical then it will
escalate as there have been 4 notifications and a Critical. I posted a help
request on this issue a week or two ago and would really like this to be
patched or built into the next update.
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.user/64997/match=escalation+state

Cheers,

Neil