On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 01:41:32PM -0400, Joseph Nuara wrote:

> Does anyone know what the story is with Cogent and L3? I noticed that my
> Cogent site (IN NY) is using a path to one of my providers (IN NJ) via
> asia as opposed to the local and preferred L3 peer. After several days I
> was finally told that L3 and Cogent are working through some peering
> negotiations and cogent is moving traffic off their L3 peer in
> anticipation of a depeering (I guess they are trying to avoid the whole
> France Telecom thing that happend last time). Does anyone have a better
> clue as to what is going on and where the negotiations stand?

Unoffical sources say that Level 3 sent a depeering notice to Cogent a
month ago, for a disconnection on either the 15th or the 16th of
September. Based on the fact that Cogent is offering 0 commit ports to any
Level 3 customers they can find (at 50% of their L3 pricing), it looks
like they're preparing to shift as much traffic off as possible, and put
the rest on transit. With any luck (if you're a Cogent or L3 customer at
any rate) they won't be blackholing each other. Guess we'll find out this
week. :)

As for the path through Asia, sounds broken, send the traceroute to
customer support and tell them to get it fixed.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras