And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Via Paths-L
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kathy Kern, Rochester, NY)
 To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Date: Monday, June 7 1999
 Subject: GRASSY NARROWS, ON:
 THEY MOVED THE WHOLE RESERVE INSTEAD--

CPTNET
June 4, 1999

Asubpeeschoseewagong (Grassy Narrows), ON:
THEY MOVED THE WHOLE RESERVE INSTEAD
by Doug Pritchard

"There's my father-in-law's house," said my guide, pointing to a small
log cabin on an island at the edge of the rain-swept English River. "All
the other families had similar houses on the river. There's where we
built our community hall. There's where we kept a common herd of cows.
Over there we had a common cellar for storing the produce of our gardens."

We had come by boat to visit the "old reserve" of Asubpeeschoseewagong
Netum Anishnabek (Grassy Narrows First Nation), 80 kms north of Kenora
in NW Ontario. The Anishnabek had invited a CPT fact-finding mission to
come and learn about the latest threat to their community posed by
clear-cut logging. But this threat is set against a backdrop of several
other traumas experienced by the community. The story of the old reserve
is part of that backdrop.

In 1963, Indian Agent Eric Law announced it would be "better" if the
Grassy Narrows people were relocated to a new reserve five kilometres
away on the road to the town of Kenora. He promised the people the
"civilizing" benefits of government housing, electricity, water, sewage
and a school staffed by white teachers. When the people resisted the
move, he threatened to cut off their Family Allowance checks.

The Anishnabek families were relocated and, 20 years later, the
"benefits" did eventually all arrive. But their community was almost
destroyed. The new reserve was on a small, stagnant lake away from
the big, wide-open river. The new houses were too close together and
many lacked access to the water. The soil was too poor to support
kitchen gardens. The Indian Agent assigned houses heedless of family
ties and friendships. The road to Kenora lured many into trouble.

The people of Asubpeeschoseewagong still treasure their memories
of the old reserve and the strength of its community. Some visit it
frequently to tend gardens or their memories of a better time.

Indian Agent Law had insisted it was "impossible" to provide a road or
school for the old reserve and so relocation was imperative. But the
old-timers reply, "I say, look here...you white people built a highway right
across Canada, a big highway from the Atlantic to the Pacific. You built a
railroad too, coast to coast. Now tell me, why couldn't Indian Affairs build
a road, just a few miles to the old reserve from the Jones Road? Why? No,
they moved the whole reserve instead."

Christian Peacemaker Teams is an initiative among Mennonite
and Church of the Brethren congregations and Friends Meetings
that supports violence reduction efforts around the world.
CPT P. O. Box 6508 Chicago, IL 60680 tel:312-455-1199
FAX: 312-666-2677 To join CPTNET, e-mail network, fill out the
form found on our WEB page. URL: http://www.prairienet.org/cpt/

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html