And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 06:26:43 -0400
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Lynne Moss-Sharman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Judge grants Premier delay: DUDLEY GEORGE

Judge grants Harris delay in George case
Ruling angers family of slain Indian protestor
June 10, 1999
                            By Kerry Gillespie
                            Toronto Star Staff Reporter

A Superior Court judge has agreed to a request by Premier Mike
Harris' lawyers for an extended delay in providing a list of
documents relating to a lawsuit filed by the family of slain
Indian protestor Dudley George. In granting the delay yesterday, until an
appeal to remove Harris from the lawsuit is settled, Madam Justice Gloria
Epstein said the allegations against Harris are some of the most serious
that can be laid against a public official.

In her judgment, she noted that Harris might be removed from the suit, but
the ``potentially embarrassing information,'' which
might come to light through the documents can never be taken back.
The move comes a day after Epstein put Harris' lawyers through
a series of tough questions. On Tuesday, she said, ``We have
  to apply the laws equally,'' and asked Harris' lawyers if they
were asking for special treatment for the Premier.

The George family's lawsuit alleges Harris personally ordered
the Ontario Provincial Police to use its paramilitary tactical
response unit to confront protestors at Ipperwash Provincial
  Park during a standoff in 1995, a move they allege resulted in
George's death. George's brother Sam, who was present in court for
Epstein's ruling yesterday, said the laws were not applied equally and the
judgment was a ``bending of the rules. ``Today, I've watched
special status being given to an individual by the judicial system. They
talked about (Harris') rights, what about my brother's rights?
``They took his rights away when they took his life,'' George said.
Dudley George was shot and killed by an OPP officer on Sept. 6,
1995 when officers confronted 30 unarmed Indian men, women and children
protesting the desecration of their ancestors' burial
grounds at Ipperwash.

In her ruling, Epstein said, ``While it is important that the full
circumstances surrounding the incident at Ipperwash are aired
in the public forum of our courts, a delay will not prevent that.
The facts will come out.''  Murray Klippenstein, the George family lawyer,
disagreed and said the delay hurts the lawsuit.  The delay is effective
until the court decides whether an appeal will be granted on a request to
remove Harris and two of his ministers from the lawsuit. Arguments on that
matter will be heard June 16.

Dennis Brown, Harris' lawyer, has denied engaging in any deliberate delay
tactics. Though Epstein found in favour of Harris' lawyers, she did not
award costs to them. ``(They) have been successful but they have also been
granted what may be considered an indulgence relieving them of their
obligations to comply with otherwise mandatory requirements concerning
discovery of documents.''

              "Let Us Consider The Human Brain As
               A Very Complex Photographic Plate"
                    1957 G.H. Estabrooks