And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 19:21:27 -0400
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (austin)
>Subject: SMALLPOX FOUND IN ROGUE GOVERNMENT BIO ARSENALS
>
>Khwe Ish:
>An article on the front page of today's (Sunday) NY Times: "Govt. Report
>Says 3 nations Hide Stocks of Smallpox"
>I don't have the energy to retype the whole thing, but feel its something of
>interest to Turtle Islanders, (perhaps someone could scan it?)since 9 out of
>10 American Indians died from this horrible pestilence, often deliberately
>infected...And now the world seems to be gearing up for another round of
>Cold War, this time with bio weapons. On Tuesday, the NY Times Science
>section is running a comprehensive article on smallpox. This scares the hell
>out of me. Native immune systems weren't much against this virus in 1492.
>Who knows how they'll fare today?
>Blessings...in lak ech, Laughing Crow

The following excerpts from the New York Times is the main ideas presented
in this multi part series.  Each section has further links on the pages.  I
agree with Laughing Crow, this may be something to seriously keep in
awareness.  the truth is no one under the age of ten (or perhaps even
older) has been vaccinated in this country since it was declared eradicated
in the wild.

http://www.nytimes.com/library/world/global/061399intel-report.html
By WILLIAM J. BROAD and JUDITH MILLER

            secret Federal intelligence assessment completed late
            last year concludes that Iraq, North Korea and Russia
        are probably concealing the deadly smallpox virus for
        military use, Government officials say.

        The assessment, the officials say, is based on evidence that
        includes disclosures by a senior Soviet defector, blood
        samples from North Korean soldiers that show smallpox
        vaccinations and the fairly recent manufacture of smallpox
        vaccine by Iraq.

        The officials say the warning was an important factor in
        President Clinton's recent decision to reverse course and
        forgo destruction of American stocks of the virus.

        Besides the United States, only Russia retains openly
        declared stocks of the virus now, nearly 20 years after the
        disease was declared to be eradicated. The intelligence
        assessment concludes that Russia is most likely hiding
        additional stocks of the virus at military sites.

http://www.nytimes.com/library/world/global/060299anthrax-island.html
By JUDITH MILLER

            OZROZHDENIYE ISLAND, Uzbekistan -- In the
            spring of 1988, germ scientists 850 miles east of
        Moscow were ordered to undertake their most critical
        mission.

        Working in great haste and total secrecy, the scientists in the
        city of Sverdlovsk transferred hundreds of tons of anthrax
        bacteria -- enough to destroy the world many times over --
        into giant stainless-steel canisters, poured bleach into them to
        decontaminate the deadly pink powder, packed the canisters
        onto a train two dozen cars long and sent the illicit cargo
        almost a thousand miles across Russia and Kazakhstan to
        this remote island in the heart of the inland Aral Sea,
        American and Central Asian officials say.

        Here Russian soldiers dug huge pits and poured the sludge
        into the ground, burying the germs and, Moscow hoped, a
        grave political threat.

        While Mikhail S. Gorbachev was pressing his glasnost and
        perestroika campaign and warming ties with the West,
        intelligence evidence was mounting in Washington that the
        Soviet Union, contrary to its treaty pledges, was producing
        tons of deadly germs for weapons that the world had
        banned. The stockpile had to be destroyed in case the United
        States and Britain demanded an inspection, Russian scientists
        close to the program said.

        Vozrozhdeniye Island was a natural choice. Until the military
        left here for good in 1992, Renaissance Island, as it
        translates from the Russian, had been the Soviet Union's
        major open-air testing site. Today, Renaissance Island,
        which the former Soviet republics of Uzbekistan and
        Kazakhstan now share, is the world's largest anthrax burial
        ground.

http://www.nytimes.com/library/national/science/052599hth-doctors.html
By LAWRENCE K. ALTMAN, M.D.

            mallpox, the ancient disease, was eradicated 20 years
            ago. Smallpox, the virus, is on death row, frozen in two
        highly protected laboratories in the United States and Russia.
        Like lawyers filing last-minute briefs, American scientists
        have come up with new arguments for reprieve.

        Monday, with the backing of Russia and other governments,
        the World Health Organization formally bowed to their
        wishes and granted the virus yet another stay. In keeping
        with action taken last week, the United Nations subagency in
        Geneva said it would appoint another committee to study the
        arguments and help decide the virus's fate. It has now been
        put off until June 2002.

                          By then, the Geneva-based
                          organization hopes, the committee
                          may have figured out whether there
                          is any reason to keep stocks on
                          hand.

                          For example, research using the
                          virus might yield drugs against the
                          disease, or improved vaccines to
                          prevent it. These would be of no
                          use, in effect, unless some rogue
                          nation unleashed hidden stores of
        smallpox virus in a biological terror attack, a prospect no
        longer regarded as outlandish. Or use of new techniques
        might decipher some of smallpox's distinctive features,
        providing clues to help fight other diseases.

        Ordinarily, such broad research goals would attract little
        attention until they produced important findings. But there is
        nothing ordinary about smallpox. It was one of the deadliest
        scourges, killing one in three victims, peasants and monarchs
        alike. The virus, known as variola, usually left survivors with
        deep, pitting scars on the face and body, and often blinded
        them.

        Smallpox was the first disease prevented by a vaccine, one
        developed by Edward Jenner in 1798, and it was the first
        and only disease to be wiped out, by the World Health
        Organization in 1979. Variola lives only in people. After
        epidemiologists tracked down the last cases and focused
        vaccinations on areas where they occurred, they broke the
        human-to-human chain of infection. The virus came to a
        dead end. Only the research stocks remained.

http://www.nytimes.com/library/world/global/052299smallpox.html
By JUDITH MILLER

            he United States and Uzbekistan have quietly
            negotiated and are expected to sign a bilateral
        agreement Tuesday to provide American aid in dismantling
        and decontaminating one of the former Soviet Union's
        largest chemical weapons testing facilities, according to
        Defense Department and Uzbek officials.

        Earlier this year, the Pentagon informed Congress that it
        intends to spend up to $6 million under its Cooperative
        Threat Reduction program to demilitarize the so-called
        Chemical Research Institute, in Nukus, Uzbekistan. Soviet
        defectors and American officials say that the Nukus plant
        was the major research testing site for a new class of secret,
        highly lethal chemical weapons called "Novichok," which in
        Russian means "new guy."

        The agreement to help Uzbekistan clean up the plant is part
        of wide-ranging cooperation between Uzbekistan and
        Washington since the former Soviet republic became
        independent in 1991. On Monday, American and Uzbek
        officials opened a series of meetings in Tashkent, the Uzbek
        capital.

        Uzbek officials said in interviews earlier this year that, only
        after their country became independent, did they come to
        understand the legacy of pollution that had resulted from
        their designated role as the Soviet Union's major testing
        ground for chemical and biological weapons. "We were
        shocked when we first learned the real picture," said Isan
        Mustafoev, Uzbekistan's deputy foreign minister, in an
        interview in Tashkent last March.

http://www.nytimes.com/library/world/global/052299smallpox.html
NITED NATIONS -- Prompted by fears of a new
            outbreak of one the world's deadliest scourges, a World
        Health Organization panel in Geneva effectively decided
        Friday to postpone eradicating the world's known remaining
        stocks of the smallpox virus until at least 2002.

        Virtually all member countries said they remained committed
        to the elimination of the smallpox stocks as soon as possible.
        But the recommendations of the World Health Assembly,
        the organization's governing body, reflected widespread
        agreement that more time is needed to study smallpox before
        it is irrevocably destroyed.

        The assembly's recommendations are to be officially adopted
        next week, a step that officials of the organization said was
        usually a formality.

        In Friday's debate, representatives of 25 nations spoke,
        many of them reluctantly affirming the need for a stay of
        execution for the virus. It would be the third that the virus
        has received since the 191-member organization decided in
        1980 to destroy the known stocks.

        Friday's resolution also calls for the creation of an
        international committee of experts to advise on the need for
        further research and to devise an eradication timetable.

        The decision reflects a major shift in scientific thinking about
        smallpox since 1996, when the assembly decided that the
        virus should be destroyed at the end of June 1999. It also
        highlighted an unusual consensus between the United States
        and Russia, the countries with the two remaining declared
        repositories of the deadly stocks.

        Washington and Moscow have publicly opposed eradication
        of the virus until more research has been done.

http://www.nytimes.com/library/world/global/042399smallpox-germ.html
U.S. Foresees Smallpox Research
        With Russia

        By JUDITH MILLER

            resident Clinton's decision to retain samples of smallpox
            virus in the United States is likely to lead to more
        scientific cooperation and biological research with Russia at a
        time of badly strained relations, Administration officials said
        Thursday.

        As expected, the White House announced Thursday that
        Clinton, acting largely on the advice of independent scientific
        advisers, had decided to delay the planned destruction of the
        samples of the deadly virus this June because he fears the
        disease, which is apparently eradicated, might revive
        naturally or be spread by a terrorist attack.

        The White House stressed that the decision was motivated
        solely by national security and scientific considerations, and
        on the President's conclusion that retaining the virus was
        "the best way to reduce the loss of life in the event of an
        outbreak," said David Leavy, spokesman for the National
        Security Council.

        He added that the Administration hopes that the reversal of
        its previous support for destruction would open up
        possibilities for joint research with Russia, the only other
        nation known to have smallpox stocks and a fervent
        opponent of their destruction.

        "We certainly hope to have a cooperative relationship with
        the Russians on this issue, and we have been working
        together to strengthen security at their facilities and on many
        other projects of mutual benefit," Leavy said.

        Specifically, he added, the Administration is "looking
        forward to working with the Russians and others at the
        World Health Assembly to build an international consensus
        on how best to handle this issue." The World Health
        Assembly, the governing body of the World Health
        Organization, is to meet in May to consider destroying the
        remaining samples.

        The last known outbreak of the disease occurred in Somalia
        in 1977. Smallpox was declared eradicated in 1980, and in
        1996 the Assembly recommended the destruction this June
        of the remaining stocks, which are held under tight security
        at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta
        and at the Russian State Research Center of Virology and
        Biotechnology in Siberia.

        David L. Heymann, executive director of the communicable
        diseases division of W.H.O., said the agency would have no
        official comment until the issue is presented to the assembly.
        But he added, "We're happy to know at least where the
        United States stands."

http://www.nytimes.com/library/world/global/012299germ-warfare.html
By JUDITH MILLER and WILLIAM J. BROAD

              WASHINGTON -- President Clinton said
              Thursday that it is "highly likely" that a terrorist
        group will launch or threaten a germ or chemical attack
        on American soil within the next few years.

        In an interview in the Oval Office late in the day,
        Clinton said he had been persuaded by intelligence
        reports that the United States needs to bolster its
        defenses.

        "I want to raise public awareness of this," the President
        said in the 45-minute interview, "without throwing
        people into an unnecessary panic."

        He said he wanted Americans "not to be afraid or
        asleep. I think that's the trick."

        Without providing specifics, Clinton warned that any
        attack with germ or chemical weapons would prompt
        "at least a proportionate if not a disproportionate
        response." The United States has signed treaties not to
        use chemical or germ weapons.

        He made the assertions as the White House disclosed
        that the Administration planned to ask Congress for
        $2.8 billion in the next budget year to fight terrorists
        armed with such unconventional weapons as deadly
        germs, chemicals and electronic devices. Clinton
        insisted during the interview that his drive to expand the
        budget for these programs was rooted in the growing
        danger of such threats.

        Elaborating on some of the initiatives he intends to
        unveil on Friday, Clinton said he is weighing a proposal
        from the Defense Department to establish a
        commander in chief for the defense of the continental
        United States, a step that civil liberties groups strongly
        resist.

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html