And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[Note: We each need to be on the alert for sale of burial objects to be the
eyes and ears for our people.  E-bay has been noted to have had human
skulls up for auction, alerted to the fact they had been placed in the
position of "fencing" illegal sales, and advised to monitor auction items
more  closely.  Unfortunately, E-bay responded that they will not be
policing objects in advance of sale, however, if items of this nature
appear for sale, please notify them to remove them and they will.  In other
words, if they don't know about it....it isn't happening...Ish]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~article sent by Wendat, thanks Holly
Tribe fights theft of artifacts

By AP Wire Service
6/14/99

Caddo objects sold on Web

BINGER (AP) -- Want a Creek pipe taken from Georgia soil? Or a Caddo
loop pipe unearthed in Clark County, Ark.? How about a set of Caddo ear
spools?
All you need is access to auction houses on the Internet, where
collectors, knowingly or unknowingly, partake in the trade of items
considered sacred by tribal members.

"These are funerary objects taken from burial sites," said Stacey
Halfmoon, historic preservation director of the Caddo Tribe. "Why would
a Caddo pot be in such good shape if it wasn't taken from a grave? "It
was obviously buried with someone."

Traditional Caddo beliefs require the dead to be buried with certain
objects for their journey into the Spirit World. Without the sacred
items, the souls of the dead will wander aimlessly.

"If people think long and hard about where these items come from, it's
not too hard to figure out," Halfmoon said. "I have a hard time
believing someone who has been collecting for a long time would be
unaware of what's going on."

As the looting continues, so does the tribe's vigilance.

In October, the tribe hired former archaeologist Robert Cast to team
with Halfmoon as its new historic preservation officer.

Cast tracks and monitors the unearthing of any Caddo burial sites from
the tribe's traditional home range prior to its removal, covering
southeast Oklahoma, northeast Texas, northwest Louisiana and southwest
Arkansas.

Cast also looks for any illegal trafficking. He has found several
catalogs that sell ancient Caddo objects such as hand-painted bowls and
pots, stone tools and carved clay pipes.

He also has found Web site auction houses conducting the same business,
he said.

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html