And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: Ron  Stanford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://rochestertoday.com/news.asp

Members Of Iroquois Confederacy Outraged At Salt Company

Members of the Iroquois confederacy say they are outraged and disappointed
by recent events at a Mount Morris salt mine. Representatives of the
Tonawanda Seneca Nation say sacred human remains were disturbed on an
American Rock Salt Company site. They say at least two sets of remains were
disrupted, an act that has caused them great pain.

"It really hurts to have our ancestors dug up, run over with scrapers,"
said Chief Norman Hill of the Tonawanda Seneca Nation.

The chief operating officer for American Rock Salt says the company had no
idea there were remains on the site when they developed their plans. The
company says it has tried to reach an agreement with the native Americans
and have gone to great lengths to disturb as few burial sites as possible.

http://www.msnbc.com/local/whec/13509.asp#BODY

Native Americans say building a new rail spur will disturb ancient burial
grounds.

Native Americans want digging to stop A coalition of Native Americans are
asking a mining company stop digging at Hampton Corners.

American Rock Salt is about to begin building a railroad spur near the new
mine in Groveland, Livingston County. The Indians want to protect sacred
burial grounds. The New York State Department of Parks, Recreation and
Historic Preservation gave the okay for the company to begin digging. The
Indians want more time to negotiate. Rick Hill of the Tuscarora Nation said
“We feel that we were making some progress in our negotiations with the
company, with the state and basically that all got cut off last weekend. So
we believe because of our treaty violation the president has an interest in
helping us try to seek some justice.” The company has offered to relocate
the remains, but the group doesn’t want that.

http://www.wroctv.com/prd1/now/template.display?p_story=161858&p_who=wroc

Indian Burial ground WROC-TV Wednesday, June 16,1999 - 09:33 PM ET

© 1999, CBS Worldwide Inc. & STC Broadcasting Inc., All Rights Reserved.
(WROC) The Seneca Indians have lost their battle with the American Rock
Salt Company and New York Department of Historic Preservation. Wednesday,
it is believed the remains of two Seneca Indians were removed form their
original burial site and moved to another location on this site by agents
of the American Rock Salt Company.

This move sparked a protest by members of the Seneca nations. The Indians
gathered here saying this move is both racist and a violation of the
Canandaigua Treaty of 1794.

Rick Hill-Seneca Nation "After the Revolutionary War, Haudenosaunee and the
United States agreed that we would live in peace and friendship forever.
The United States promised to look after our general welfare but this is a
violation of that welfare. It disturbs us greatly, personally, culturally
and spiritually."

The Seneca Indians say New York State took great care not to disturb this
German cemetery known as Williamsburg because of it's historical
significance but would not do the same for them.

The Seneca Indians believe their dead have great power and the removal of
their dead could cause some kinds of disturbance by spiritual forces.
Reporter: Johanne Lochard Photographer: Jim Gardner

© 1999, CBS Worldwide Inc. & STC Broadcasting Inc., All Rights Reserved.
Please click here for more copyright information. Advertise With Us
Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html