And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Surviving in Two Worlds Contemporary Native American Voices
http://www.utexas.edu/utpress/books/crosur.html
By Lois Crozier-Hogle and Darryl Babe Wilson
Photographs by Giuseppe Saitta
Edited by Jay Leibold Assistant interviewer,
Ferne Jensen Foreword by Greg Sarris

"I think there is a great need for a book like this one. It comes at an
important moment in trying to renew commitment to the earth."

--Robert Bly

"Words are powerful. They describe and define worlds. Here, words are
offered by indigenous peoples from across this country to tell about and
validate our past and emerging native histories. These people speak of
personal and spiritual strengths which grow out of a deep connectedness to
place, family, and community. Through words, they acknowledge our common
belief that people are a part of nature and one with other animals and
plants. They validate the knowledge of our ancestors by speaking of the
sacred as essential to a life of love and respect for self, other people,
and creatures of the earth. They share, through thoughtful words, worlds of
distress--and worlds of beauty and hope."

--Rina Swentzell

"It's so important that the truth be told, that Native Americans have a
platform so that we can hear ourselves. I also want to say that it's
increasingly important that we take control of our lives and tell our
stories. If we're to survive, we've got to take hold of our anger and our
fears, stand up with all of the strength and beauty and wisdom that our
ancestors have left us, and live with that."

--Greg Sarris

Surviving in Two Worlds brings together the voices of twenty-six Native
American leaders. The interviewees come from a variety of tribal
backgrounds and include such national figures as Oren Lyons, Arvol Looking
Horse, John Echohawk, William Demmert, Clifford Trafzer, Greg Sarris, and
Roxanne Swentzell. Their interviews are divided into five sections, grouped
around the themes of tradition, history and politics, healing, education,
and culture. They take readers into their lives, their dreams and fears,
their philosophies and experiences, and show what they are doing to assure
the survival of their peoples and cultures, as well as the earth as a
whole. Their analyses of the past and present, and especially their
counsels for the future, are timely and urgent.
Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html