And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 21:20:38 EDT
Subject: State of Washington v. Donald Ray Buchanan

http://www.wa.gov/COURTS/opinions/660549_O01.txt

         Supreme Court of the State of Washington
                 Opinion Information Sheet

Docket Number: 66054-9
Title of Case: State of Washington
                    v.
               Donald Ray Buchanan
File Date:     06/17/1999

Filed June 17, 1999.

GUY, C.J. This is a criminal prosecution for illegal hunting
of elk in the State-owned Oak Creek Wildlife Area. The
defendant, a member of the Nooksack Indian Tribe, claims he
has a treaty right to hunt elk in the Oak Creek Area, and
that this right may not be restricted by state hunting
regulations. The issues presented are (1) whether the
geographic scope of the tribe's treaty right to hunt on open
and unclaimed lands includes the Oak Creek Wildlife Area, (2)
whether the Oak Creek Wildlife Area is open and unclaimed
land, and (3) whether the tribe's treaty right to hunt
outside the reservation was abrogated by Washington's
admission to the Union "on equal footing" with the original
states.

We reverse the dismissal of the criminal action and remand
for trial. We hold that, on remand, the defendant may raise
a treaty right to hunt as a defense to the criminal charges
and may offer evidence in support of his position that the
Oak Creek Wildlife Area is within the aboriginal hunting
grounds of the Nooksack Tribe. We also hold that under the
facts presented in this case, the Oak Creek Wildlife Area is
"open and unclaimed" land within the meaning of the
Nooksack's treaty. We decline, in this case, to reconsider
prior case law on whether the equal footing doctrine applies
to impliedly abrogate Indian treaty rights in Washington.

[snip]

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html