And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From:         Piercing Eyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

forwarded for informational purposes only..contents have not been verified...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 05:40:11 EDT
Subject: Booze Sales Banned on Reservation

Booze Sales Banned on Reservation
.c The Associated Press

 BROWNING, Mont. (AP) - A five-day ban on alcohol sales on the Blackfeet
Indian Reservation could be the forerunner of year-round prohibition.

The ban from Thursday night until Monday night was imposed by the Blackfeet
Tribal Council in an effort to control drinking during North American Indian
Days, the biggest annual celebration on the reservation.

``There have been too many crashes and too many deaths in recent months,''
said Herman Whitegrass, a chemical dependency counselor. ``We have to take
off our blinders and take action to save lives.''

The ban will be reinstated during next month's Heart Butte Society
Celebration, and tribe officials are interested in prohibiting alcohol sales
all year. They plan a series of public meetings on the idea.

Whitegrass said officials will monitor the next five days closely.

``We will use this as a measuring stick,'' he said. ``We will chart how many
crashes there are and how many other problems - things like people going to
the emergency room for things like abuse.''

Many of the 27 alcohol vendors on the reservation near Glacier National Park
in northern Montana say permanently prohibiting sales would simply drive
people off the reservation to buy booze.

``There is a problem. I'll admit that, but I think you're compounding the
problem by taking away something that's legal and making people go farther
for it,'' said Norris Gilham, whose mother owns Ick's Place bar and liquor
store in Browning. ``There's a lot of enterprising people here. They're going
to see a way to make money and start bootlegging.''

Tribal law already bans alcohol sales on religious holidays, including
Christmas and Easter.

AP-NY-07-09-99 0539EDT

 Copyright 1999 The Associated Press.  The information  contained in the AP
news report may not be published,  broadcast, rewritten or otherwise
distributed without  prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html