And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

The aftermath of the President’s visit
http://www.msnbc.com/local/KNBN/20615.asp

Bringing economic development where now there is only poverty is the dream
President Clinton brought to the Pine Ridge Reservation this week.

“The unemployment rate on this reservation is almost 75 percent that is
appalling and we can do better.” “I think that President ought to be
congratulated for addressing the poverty that has existed for years” Ramon
Roubideaux, a Rapid City lawyer and Native American activist says Clinton’s
plan for the reservation would not only bring economic relief to the
community, but would also give the people a much needed sense of self worth.

“They’ll get their pride back and supporting their families and doing all
the things they’re deficient in, because of the situation that exists on
the reservation it’s the system that is responsible.” But, poverty is not
the only issue concerning the Lakota people. Native Americans say the
United States continues to ignore numerous treaties. “They promised to take
care of all our needy problems and haven’t been doing it all these years.”
And though Clinton did not address treaty issues, the Lakota people say
that the mere fact he visited the reservation is enough to bring them hope
for a better future.

              Body found in Rapid Creek
http://www.msnbc.com/local/KNBN/20610.asp

         There is another in the series of drownings along Rapid Creek in
the Rapid City area. A landowner found the body of a 40-to-50-year old
Native American male floating in a section of the creek near Rapid Valley.

The Rapid City Pennington County dive rescue team retrieved the body, found
tangled in a mass of branches, near Melody Lane. Police do not say whether
they believe the death is the result of foul play.

“We don’t know the circumstances...we called the dive team in...to do a
recovery for us. We also have evidence on the way to process as a possible
crime scene.” The body had no identification on it. Investigators are
treating the case as a crime.

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html