And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Web posted Saturday, July 10, 1999
http://www.yankton.net/stories/071099/new_0710990025.html
Whiteclay Residents Tired Of Indian Rallies

WHITECLAY, Neb. (AP) -- Postmaster Kathy Eckholt has had enough.
The lifelong resident of this village of 22 neighbors may abandon her
hometown along with her mother and sister.

They are tired of the weekly protests by American Indian activists, the
resulting influx of state police and the ongoing threat of violence.

''I've always said I would never, never, never leave Whiteclay,'' Eckholt
said Friday while working at the Whiteclay Post Office. ''You asked anyone
if they want to buy a house in Whiteclay now, and they just laugh.''

For the past two weekends, hundreds of Indian activists marched two miles
from the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation across the border in South Dakota to
the village, and a third rally is set for Saturday.

The first march on June 25 resulted in looting and arson. Before last
week's march, more than 100 state troopers occupied Whiteclay, shut down
businesses, evacuated all its residents and closed roads in and out of the
town.

''When the sheriff says 'Get out of Dodge,' what can you do?'' asked
Eckholt's 71-year-old mother, Mary, who owns a dry goods store in
Whiteclay. ''He says he can't protect us.''

State officials said a large police presence probably will not be needed
Saturday, but extra officers will be in the area.

The Indians are upset with four stores in Whiteclay that sell millions of
dollars worth of beer each year, most of it to Oglala Sioux from the
reservation.

Alcohol is banned on the reservation, a 5,000-square-mile expanse that is
home to 15,000 Oglala Sioux and one of the nation's highest
alcoholism-related mortality rates.

Indian activists say they want to keep up pressure to close the stores in
Whiteclay. They also want authorities to look into two unsolved murders on
the reservation and alleged treaty violations.

They have set up two tepees near Whiteclay that they call ''Camp Justice.''

They hope a third march in three weeks on Saturday will help.

''Things are going to happen ... but I anticipate it's going to be
peaceful,'' said Frank LaMere, a Winnebago Indian from South Sioux City,
who was one of nine during last weekend's march for crossing a police line.

''Hopefully, it's going to be uneventful,'' LaMere said of Saturday's march.

Eckholt and her neighbors in Whiteclay said they are not afraid of the
demonstrators from the reservation, but are concerned with those from
outside the area representing the American Indian Movement.

Eckholt's sister, Ann, who runs Ann's Little Log Cabin Bakery in Whiteclay,
put a sign in the bakery window this week that says: ''I've baked my last
cake in Whiteclay.''

On Friday, she was in Norfolk looking for a new home and new job.

Gov. Mike Johanns on Friday announced plans to travel to Whiteclay on
Tuesday to meet with Oglala Sioux leaders and tour the area. He said the
trip will help continue the dialogue between the tribe and the state.

Besides concerns over the alcohol sales in Whiteclay, Indians say local
police have not done enough to investigate the deaths of Wilson Black Elk
Jr., 40, and Ronald Hard Heart, 39, whose bodies were found June 8 near the
Nebraska state line.

They also contend that Whiteclay belongs to the tribe under an 1868 treaty.

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html