And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 08:31:31 -0400
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Lynne Moss-Sharman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Pimicikamak Cree Nation - Pan Am Games

Cree selling their plight to Pan-Am Games media

Elena Cherney
National Post July 14, 1999

A Cree tribe in sub-arctic Manitoba plans to use the Pan-Am Games in
Winnipeg to expose the poverty of its reserve to foreign journalists. The
Pimicikamak Cree Nation has chartered a plane to fly journalists to the
Cross Lake reserve 500 kilometres north of Winnipeg for a "rare opportunity
. . . to view the living conditions" of the tribe, which they say was
devastated by hydro-electric developments in the 1970s.

The federal and provincial governments and Manitoba Hydro have not lived up
to a 1977 treaty that obliged them to co-ordinate efforts to eradicate
poverty and make the community of 5,500 self-sufficient, said Roland
Robinson, chief of the four councils that govern the tribe. "Canada is
number one at the United Nations, and yet they're not looking after their
own backyard," Mr. Robinson said. "We're going to show them the
environmental damage that's been done, the erosion. We want the world to
see what Canada is and Manitoba is and what Manitoba has done to our lands
and resources." Unemployment among the Pimicikamak stands at 85%, a
situation that Mr. Robinson blames on damage done by the hydro development.
Now, almost 20% of households lack indoor plumbing. "We were promised a
viable community. That never materialized."

The Pimicikamak are the only Manitoban tribe that has refused to accept a
lump-sum compensation payment stemming from the hydro development, said
Colin Gillespie, the tribe's lawyer. While all of the four other tribes
affected accepted "hundreds of millions" in government money, the
Pimicikamak "rejected compensation. They regard it as selling their
children's birthright." The Pimicikamak plan to set up an information
teepee at the Games to convince reporters to make the six-hour trip.

              "Let Us Consider The Human Brain As
               A Very Complex Photographic Plate"
                    1957 G.H. Estabrooks
                www.angelfire.com/mn/mcap/bc.html