And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

via Paths-L
 From: Ben Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:33:30 -0600 (MDT)
 Subject: Oglala Tornado Disaster Update

Dear Friends,

Thanks to many of you, we've been able get a start on our disaster
relief collection for the people of Oglala who were hit hard by the
June tornados.  Much more is needed, and we intend to keep up
the work for quite some time.  Please distribute this message widely.
We need to do all we can to help our relatives at Oglala, especially
the elderly and the young.

We've gotten the Red Cross survey results and have found the
damage to be far more extensive than our earlier report.  A total
of 101 dwellings were completely destroyed by the tornados.
Additionally, over 200 dwellings had such severe damage that
they are considered unsafe to occupy until major repairs are made.

After our initial collection of goods, Kirby Henderson and the kind
folks at A-1 Relocation in Aurora, Colorado loaded up a semi and
we took a lot of needed supplies directly to Loneman School in
Oglala. That is the center of relief collection and supply for the
Oglala Community. Stanley Looking Elk, the Vice Chairman of the
Oglala District, looked after the supplies.  Stanley expressed his
sincere thanks for all those who have donated goods, funds, time
and other resources.

We got around the Oglala countryside to see the severity of the
damage. The houses that were destroyed by the tornado have been
completely removed from the scene.  In some places, small tents
have been erected where the houses were, and those who choose
not to stay in the dormitories are camping out until better housing
becomes available.

Many of the displaced are staying in the dormitories at the high
school in Pine Ridge, some twenty miles from Oglala.  Others are
sleeping in Loneman School.  And others have crowded in with
friends and relatives. Conditions are difficult for so many.

The situation promises to get much worse when school starts and
the dorms and gymnasiums must be cleared.  The hope for quick
availability of temporary housing is rapidly fading as the federal
government gets bogged down in delays.  They had planned to get
200 small trailer homes into Oglala, but the timing is uncertain.  In
the meantime, Stanley Looking Elk and others think it may be
necessary to obtain tents for temporary dwellings.

We were given 25 sets of bedroom furniture by U.S. West (many
thanks), but will have to keep it in storage at A-1 Relocation until
Oglala can find a place for it.  We've gotten donations of good
supplies from many sources, as far away as Alabama.  We've
gotten monetary donations, mostly from the Denver area, but
also from several places across the country. We use the funds
to purchase supplies and to pay for transportation expenses.

We're going to continue our collection efforts for the people of
Oglala for the indefinite future.  We're disappointed that Oglala
received such scant attention in the media.  We need to keep
the needs of Oglala a public issue for as long as we can.  And
we need your help with that.

Please take the time to notify your friends, relatives, co-workers
and acquaintances about the real needs of Oglala.  During the
President's visit to Pine Ridge, you heard that the Pine Ridge
Indian Reservation is the poorest place in the country.  It was
poor before the country's economic boom, and it has not
improved a bit during these so-called "good times."

                              HOW TO HELP

Critical needs continue to be baby formula, baby clothes, diapers,
other baby goods, dishware, silverware, cooking pots and pans,
towels, blankets, pillows, sheets, personal hygiene items, cleaning
products, trash bags, paperware, plasticware, tents, lanterns,
flashlights, batteries, camp cots, canned foods, non-perishable
foods, paper towels, toilet paper, canvas/plastic sheeting, folding
chairs, sleeping bags, stackable containers, ice chests, thermos
jugs.

Do not send clothing, furniture or large appliances at this time.

Goods can be dropped off at the following Denver-area locations:
 A-1 Relocation, 11701 E. 33rd Avenue, Aurora, (303)364-2684
 Denver Indian Center, 4407 Morrison Road, Denver, (303)936-2688
 City Moving & Storage, 481 S. Arthur Ave., Louisville, (303)666-2121
 T. Michael Installation, 7178 N. Washington, Denver, (303)286-7950

Send checks and money orders (payable to Oglala CDF) to:
    Oglala Community Disaster Fund
    Norwest Banks of Colorado
    Attn: Tania Reading
    1740 Broadway
    Denver, CO 80274

For further information, contact:
Ben Sherman, phone: (303) 661-9819 or (303) 620-9292
Rose Brave, phone: (303) 447-8760
Margaret Tyon, phone: (303) 936-2688

Mitakuye Oyasin, "We are all Related"

Submitted by: