And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 11:56:57 -0400
From: Landis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

         THE INDIAN HELPER
                ~%^%~
          A WEEKLY LETTER
             -FROM THE-
 Indian Industrial School, Carlisle, Pa.
 VOL. XIV. FRIDAY, July 7, 1899  NUMBER 37
 KEEP WELL.
         --------
  Cheerful hopes are ever present
    If we only have good health,
  And if hope is never absent,
    We are on the road to wealth. -
  On the road to keen enjoyment
    Of the sweets this earth can give;
  Skies are bright and fields are verdant,
    And 'tis such a joy to live,
    When we're well.
 ============

 THE CURSE THAT IS KILLING INDIANS.
 --------------
  We all know it!
  We all see it!
  And yet we let it go on!
  The drink habit is getting such a hold in some tribes that before long
there will be no Indians of those tribes left to tell the tale.
  Which tribes?
  All those tribes who have the most money given to them by the
Government, as interest on money held in trust.
  If there were some way to let the Indians see the awful situation, how
they are killing themselves, and if by some means they could be lead as
individuals to turn their attention to other pleasures or to useful
pursuits, what a blessing it would be!
  But would the drinking men listen to ordinary talk or effort?
  No!  They are blind!
  And the Man-on-the-band-stand fears that they will never get their
eyes open until some terrible suffering comes upon whole tribes through
harsh treatment or disease.
  In reference to strong drink, General Stonewall Jackson once said:
  "I never use it.  I am more afraid of it than Yankee bullets."
  Honorable John D. Long said:
  "Drink is the dynamite of modern civilization."
  Spurgeon said:
  "Grape juice has killed more men than grapeshot."

  Prince Leopold said:
  "Drink is the only terrible enemy that England has to fear."
  General Robert E. Lee said:
  "Men need no stimulant.  It is something I am persuaded they can get
along without."
  Von Moitke said:
  "Beer is a far more dangerous enemy to Germany than the armies of
France."
  And so, strong drink is the most deadly enemy that the Indians have
today.
  But how do they meet this enemy?
  They go out to hunt him.
  They carry him to their camps.
  They welcome the low white man who carries strong drink to them in
their boot-legs.
  Fathers and mothers and whole families get drunk on the vile stuff.
  They fight and kill each other.
  Children born under such conditions inherit dispositions to fight, and
they become murderers.
  What are we to do about it?
  Shall the friends of the Indian sit still with folded hands while this
enemy is at work killing and weakening the minds and bodies of a people
that are worth saving, and can be saved, if we can only lead them to
take hold with courage and determination of the truth that they must
save themselves?
  To the boys and girls who are in school or who have recently left
school the Man-on-the-band-stand appeals.
  They have studied hygiene.
  They have leaned of the awful effects of strong drink on the brain and
on the body.
  THEIR eyes are open.
  There are thousands of them - enough for a small army.
  To all such, the Man-on-the-band-stand would say:
  Preach temperance in your home letters!
  Live "temperance" when you get home!
  Talk temperance wherever you are, and tell
(page 2)
          THE INDIAN HELPER
         PRINTED EVERY FRIDAY
                --AT THE--
Indian Industrial School, Carlisle, Pa.,
          BY INDIAN BOYS.
---> THE INDIAN HELPER is PRINTED by Indian
boys, but EDITED by The man-on-the-band-stand
         who is NOT an Indian.
    P R I C E: --10  C E N T S  A  Y E A R
Entered in the PO at Carlisle as second
        class mail matter.
Address INDIAN HELPER, Carlisle, Pa.
                  Miss Marianna Burgess, Manager.
Do not hesitate to take the HELPER from the
Post Office for if you have not paid for it
some one else has.  It is paid for in advance.
  Nice people always notice when the fingernails of their friends are
not clean.   Keep fingernails clean when dressed for leisure, even if
face is soiled.
  Invitations to the Salem Indian school, Oregon, have been received.
Superintendent Potter and Assistant Superintendent Campbell are well
known at Carlisle.
  The Fort Apache closing exercises program were hand-written with
artistically designed hand-sketched scroll for cover, in which we see
the handiwork and genius of the Superintendent, Miss Ella Patterson, who
at one time was of our force.
  Bertram Charles' friends will be pleased to learn that he has arrived
safely at his Alaskan home.  He says he feels stronger and better
already.  It is a great fishing place where he is now, and he wishes he
could send in a letter a big salmon to each of his friends.
  Boys, get Dr. Eastman to tell you his story, how he worked his way
through college.  He did not have an easy task, and is all the stronger
man for it.  The hard pulls strengthen, and the disagreeable work from
which we want to run away strengthens character if we hang to it.
  Miss Leverett, of Bloomsburg, daughter of the Rev. Dr. Leverett who
was rector of St. John's Episcopal Church, Carlisle, when the Indian
School began, writes that they keep up an interest in our school and
work, and must continue the HELPER.  We value specially our old time
friends who hang by us year after year.
  Miss Barr says she recently heard from James Flannery, '94, who says
he takes great pleasure in the little brass band that he is instructing
at the Mt. Pleasant, Michigan school where he is employed.  They met
with a great misfortune in the burning of their girls' building.  It was
a sorrowful sight, he said, to behold a fine building go down to ashes,
while those looking on were powerless to save it.  He gives
Superintendent Graham credit for being cool-headed and wise at such a
critical time.

  We are pleased to be able to note that Howice H. Seonia, whose home is
with Mrs. D.W. Collins, Philadelphia, and who is a sister of our Miss
Mary Seonia, teacher of No. 4, passed the examination for the eighth
grade primary and will be promoted when the Fall term opens should she
be present.  Her average is 80.2.   She has done good work.
  Bertha Pradt is with people who have gone for the summer to the
mountains near Stroudsburg.  She says "the country around here" is
beautiful, in full view of the valleys and Delaware Water Gap.  The
walks and drives are lovely." We are glad Bertha has found such a
healthful place.  She has missed the HELPER one week, and we are also
glad she demands the change of address, as it shows that she must have
Carlisle news.
  Mrs. Cook left on Friday evening for California to attend the Indian
Teachers' Institute.  She will visit her little son Hobart, in Pasadena,
while away.  Master Hobart has been going to school as the splendid St.
Mathew's semi-military Academy, San Mateo, California.  Hobart's father
the late Rev. Charles Smith Cook, was an Indian, a College and
Theological Seminary graduate, widely known and highly respected. Mrs.
Cook is a cultured lady from New England.  Business duties now separate
this mother and this son.  The Continent lies between them.  Hobart is
twelve years of age, and Mrs. Cook has not seen him for two years.  She
will return in September and leave him in California.
  Dr. Charles Eastman and wife Elaine Goodale Eastman with their four
children Misses Dora, Irene and Virginia and Master Charles, of
Washington, D.C., arrived on Saturday evening for a few weeks' stay with
us during the heated term.  Dr. Eastman is a Sioux Indian, a College
graduate, and a man of wide information and experience in Indian
affairs.  For some time he was Government physician at Pine Ridge
agency.  He is now looking after the interests of Sioux claims at
Washington.  The Doctor is a most interesting and intelligent speaker
from the stand-point of his race, and is thoroughly progressive,
believing that the only true salvation for the Indian is for him to
become a voting citizen as speedily as possible.  Mrs. Eastman is widely
known as a poetess and writer on Indian matters.
  Levi St. Cyr, who has been assistant printer at the head of the
Mailing Department of the Red Man and HELPER Office for several years
has resigned.  Mr. St. Cyr has been with us for about eleven years, and
goes out from the school with a spotless record as far as conduct, and
gentlemanly bearing is concerned.  He understands the work of an
ordinary newspaper and job office, and is a careful and accurate clerk,
He was a valuable member of the band, took an active interest in
athletics and was highly respected in every way.  His many friends at
Carlisle will be sorry to learn of his decision not to return, and can
but trust that he has not made a mistake.  Mr. St. Cyr has landed
interests on the Winnebago reservation which it is hoped will not serve
as a cord to bind him or drag him back to the tribe.  He has been a
voting citizen for a number of years, and paid his taxes, a MAN among
men, and so he will continue, no doubt.

(p 3)
  What fire-crackers!
  The Fourth is over and we had a GOOD time.
  Miss Ericson has gone to Washington and New York.
  The Fourth was perfect as far as weather was concerned.
  About 40 pupils have left for their western homes during the week.
  Mrs. Senseney of Chambersburg, is visiting her daughter at the school.

  Mrs. McCoy, Matron of the Chilocco School, Oklahoma, was among the
callers on Monday evening.
  Assistant Disciplinarian Ralston, who has been visiting boys on farms,
is expected home at this writing.
  Miss Barr, Superintendent of the Hospital, has gone to Prince Edward's
Island for needed rest and vacation.
  Mrs. Sawyer, instrumental teacher, will spend part of her vacation,
studying under Albert Ross Parsons, New York.
  Never in the experience of the Man-on-the-band-stand has he been so
nearly deafened by fire crackers as on this Fourth.
  Kendall Paul, '99, has returned from Bank's School of Shorthand,
Philadelphia, to take Levi St.Cyr's place for the summer.
  Mrs. Given and Miss Carter leave this morning for Chautauqua to take a
course in the famous summer school at that place.
  Mrs. Hench, and daughters Misses Mary and Elizabeth and little
grandson Lyon were out to hear the concert on Tuesday evening.
  A wheel meet at the lower farm was an enjoyable affair last Saturday
after work hours.  Mr. Snyder and Miss Forster went "a la tandem."
  Miss Bella Rankin, of Bellefonte, Mrs. Edward Rankin, Miss Scott and
Miss Margaret Forster, of Harrisburg, were guests of Miss Forster one
day this week.
  Miss Nellie Robertson, ahs gone out to the Sioux country to see her
friends and bring in pupils, if any wish to come.  Jennie and Lillian
Brown went home with her.
  The band is to take a vacation of two weeks, and the boys have earned
the rest.  They will go at their work for the new year with renewed
vigor after a little cessation from blowing.
  Physical Director and Disciplinarian Thompson and wife left today for
Chautauqua, N. Y., where the former will make a special study of
"Corrective or Medical Gymnastics."
  If some of those snakes that Professor Schurr talked about, which
drink the perspiration from the necks of people, were here they would
have plenty to quench their thirst just now.
  "This is the way we celebrate the FIFTH of July," said one of the
little fellows detailed to do the picking up of the litter after the fun
with fire-crackers and rockets the evening before.
  The teachers and officers gave the band a little lemonade treat
between parts, during the concert on the evening of the Fourth.  The
boys thought that hardly ever did lemonade taste so good and refreshing.

  Teachers have been working in the library since the close of school.
They are cataloging all books according to the Dewey system, modified
for our special needs.
  Mrs. DeLoss, mentioned last week, as having been transferred from the
Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, Indian school, to Carlisle to take the place of
Miss Wilson, arrived on Monday.
  Miss Wood has gone to Trenton, New York, to visit her mother and other
relatives.  She expects to go from there in a few days to Martha's
Vineyard to take a course in the Summer School.
  Miss Cutter left for Cold Spring Harbor, Long Island, on Monday, to
take a summer's course in Biology and Botany.  She will have the benefit
of the teaching of University instructors, and of the laboratory at that
great summer school.
  Instructor Harris of the blacksmith and wagon making shop, Mr. Norman,
instructor in painting, Mr. Morrett, instructor in shoemaking, and Mr.
Harkness instructor in tinning are all away on a vacation.  The shops
are kept going by the most advanced student in each department.
  Where is that bucket?  The boys, with Mrs. Given's consent, thought
they would put one of the cannon crackers under an old wooden bucket to
hear it make a BIG noise.  The bucket went up and has not been seen
since.  Oh, there are a few splinters around to show that there really
had been a bucket.
  Quite a large concourse of promenaders from town were out to hear the
concert given by the Band on the evening of the Fourth, and felt amply
repaid for coming.  Tannhauser and William Tell Overtures did not mix
well with the loud sounding pyrotechnics, but the boys and girls for the
most part honored the Band by keeping quiet during the finer parts of
the music.
  Mr. Elmer Simon, class '96, and a graduate this year of the Indian
Normal School, this State, as Salutatorian of his class, is now with us
as teacher.  We welcome him to our midst as a brother, who will take up
the work understanding all of its phases, for he has been through it
all, having come to us when quite a young boy.  Mr. Simon's Normal
Training will be turned into thorough practical use.
  Jack Standing is spending the half days of his vacation doing job work
in the Red Man office.  He has thus spent several summers and by the
time he finishes his education, he will have a useful trade to fall back
upon, should he have to support himself.  We are glad to see him so
sensible as not to throw away the entire summer, as too many boys do.
There could be no better summer school for any college "prep," than a
printing office.
  Major Pratt and daughter Miss Nana left last Friday morning for the
west.  The Major expects to join Mrs. Pratt at the home of his daughter
Mrs. Stevick in Denver, and the two with their daughter Miss Richenda
will go on to California to attend the Indian Teachers' Institute to be
held at Los Angeles immediately following the National Educational
Association now is session.  Miss Nana will visit her aunt, Mrs. Allen,
who resides in St. Louis and possibly go on to Denver, before she
returns in the Fall.
(page 4)
the story that is told in the few quotations above, from eminent men.
  If the boys and girls who have learned these things do not resist the
temptation of strong drink, and go into this evil with eyes open, the
punishment that will follow them must be greater than that visited upon
their fathers.
  Let these school boys, and girls deliberately walk into drinking and
all the vices that go with the curse, and the Lord only knows what
terrible and special punishment will be meted out to them, but certain
will be the reward to the individual who shuns it all, and tries to
lessen the evil.

      ===============
     FUN FOR THE BOYS.
         --------
  In Pittsburg, a few days ago, a barrel of candy rolled from a wagon to
the street.
  The barrel broke and the candy came out on the car tracks.  The driver
did not know he had lost the barrel and he went on.
  Some newsboys saw the candy and ran for it.  They filled their pockets
and hats. More newsboys came up and saw the candy.
  They threw their papers away and scrambled for candy.
  Men and women stopped to see the fun, and in a few moments five
hundred people were watching the boys.  The crowd got so big the
streetcars could not run, and wagons and carriages had to stop.
  For nearly half an hour the street was blocked because of the barrel
of candy. -[Western Pennsylvania.

   ===============
 SENSIBLE INDIAN GIRL.
     ----------
  A letter from one of our Indian girls who went west recently to take a
position in a Government school wrote that the people are so plain and
sensible that she does not feel like putting on her new silk waist and
dressing up so much.
  The Man-on-the-band-stand is glad that she has fallen among people of
that kind, and glad that she had sense enough to see that she would make
herself ridiculous to go around, overdressed.
  We have girls at Carlisle who would be more highly respected if they
did not think so much about dress and spend so much money for gaudy,
showy things, such as laces and ribbons and fine shoes.
  A little of that sort of thing is to be admired, but a schoolgirl or a
person who works on a salary, should endeavor to dress in a very neat
manner, but never in a "loud" way to attract undue attention.
  The very BEST people in all walks of life dress the plainest.

        ====================
       HOW WE DO NOT PUNCTUATE.
         ----------
  We do not put in our commas and periods quite as the boy who works in
the Pioneer office says he does.
  When he was asked what his rule for punctuation was he replied:
  "I set up as long as I can hold my breath, then I put in a comma.
  When I gap I insert a semi-colon.
  When I look at the clock I use a capital letter, and when I want a
drink I make a paragraph."

        ====================
      WELL DONE.
              ------
  The first school catalogue ever issued by a government Indian school
has just been completed.  There are forty-eight pages of reading matter
and eleven pages of cuts of different buildings and departments.  the
work was done in the Leader office.  -[Haskell Institute, Lawrence,
Kan., Leader.
  And, the Man-on-the-band-stand will add, very creditably done.

       ====================
        LET IN THE LIGHT.
            -------
  If a traveler be shown the right road to pursue, he has more practical
help in his journeying than if he be told of fifty wrong ways that he
must avoid, while still left in doubt as to the one safe way.  Letting
in a single ray of sunlight gives more cheer in a room than trying to
shut out a hundred tons of darkness.  Oh, if men only realized this!
-[S.S. Times.

       ====================
         THERE ARE MANY.
           ---------
  "What is a hypochondriac?"
  It may have been a senior who answered thus truly:
  "A man who suffers from things he hasn't got."

       ====================
  Success doesn't happen.  It is organized, pre-empted, -captured by
"consecrated common sense." -Frances Willard.
       ====================
           Enigma.
  I am made of 16 letters.
  My 7, 3, 14 is used to carry mortar.
  My 16, 15, 13 is worn on the neck.
  My 12, 5, 10, 11 is not far.
  My 4, 2, 8, 9, 4 are worn on the feet.
  My 6, 9, 1 is not dry.
  My whole are the people who most enjoyed the holiday on the Fourth of
July.
  ANSWER TO LAST WEEK'S ENIGMA: A rainy Sunday.

 Transcribed every week from the Carlisle Indian School newspaper
collection of the Cumberland County Historical Society by Barbara
Landis, Carlisle Indian School Research - http://www.epix.net/~landis.

Reprinted under the Fair Use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html