And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: "chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AFN works for international  co-optation
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 15:31:46 -0400

Tuesday, July 20, 1999

Tecumseh's vision reality as natives to form alliance
International agreement: Late chief believed in unifying tribal nations

Stewart Bell
National Post

 The Canadian Press
Phil Fontaine

VANCOUVER - During the early 1800s, a chief named Tecumseh had a vision of
uniting Canadian and American aboriginal tribes into a single Indian
Confederacy.

Today the top tribal leaders from both sides of the border will gather in
Vancouver to form an alliance they say will finally realize Tecumseh's
dream of "one body, one heart."

Five thousand delegates from Canada and the U.S. were expected to attend
the first joint summit hosted by the Assembly of First Nations and the
National Congress of American Indians.

Phil Fontaine, Canada's top chief, and Ron Allen, his U.S. counterpart,
were to sign a "protocol agreement" at the conclusion of the four-day event
pledging to co-operate on issues of shared concern, such as land and
border-crossing rights.

The theme of the conference is Uniting First Nations: Tecumseh's Vision.

"We want to renew our ties with the people in the states," Mr. Fontaine said.

"Both organizations feel that, and believe that, one of the most effective
ways of advancing our position is to join forces and pursue these common
issues through a more collective approach."

The last major gathering of North American tribes was 60 years ago, but
this will be the largest and the first to discuss such a broad range of
themes, from trade and culture to human rights and politics.

"In addition to renewing our historic ties, it's an opportunity to give
international focus to indigenous issues in North America, those related to
treaties, land, resources, self determination," Mr. Fontaine said.

There are many aboriginal issues that cross the border. Indians throughout
North America share a similar culture and are believed by anthropologists
to have all descended from people who crossed a land bridge from Asia
centuries ago.

The border imposed by European settlers divided some Indian tribes.
Although Canada and the U.S. have taken somewhat different approaches to
dealing with native people, there are common threads, such as the
reservation system, residential schools and the adoption of native children
into non-native families.

The conference is the latest attempt by Mr. Fontaine to reach out beyond
Canada's borders to advance aboriginal rights. Since he was elected
national chief two years ago, he has devoted significant time and energy to
forging international links.

He headed a delegation to Mexico in May to foster trade and political links
between indigenous people in both countries. A second visit is planned for
October. The assembly also said it would look into hosting a major event in
Canada in 2000 with representatives of First Nations in Mexico.

Last month, Mr. Fontaine took a group of chiefs to New York to meet Kofi
Anan, the United Nations Secretary General. They asked him to appoint an
advocate or goodwill ambassador for aboriginal people and to establish a
permanent forum that would give natives a voice at the UN. Mr. Anan has
sent a representative to this week's conference.

In addition, Mr. Fontaine said he has been in discussion with native
leaders in Bolivia and Guatemala, and plans an official visit to New
Zealand in the fall. He says the diplomatic campaign is one of "expanding
our horizons.

"For a time now we've been far too insular, in my view," he said. "The
world has changed so fundamentally and it's become smaller in some respects
and we believe that we can't allow ourselves to be idle bystanders while
the world undergoes fundamental change.

"We really have to be involved, to try and shape and influence the changes
that take place, and so it's really important for us to design a strategic
approach that will protect the unique interests of indigenous peoples."

Tecumseh had similar ideas. Born in 1768 in southern Ohio, the son of a
Shawnee chief, he tried to unite Indians against the United States during
th e War of 1812 to "defend to the last warrior, our country, our homes,
our liberty, and the graves of our fathers." He died Oct. 5, 1813, during
the Battle of the Thames.

"Tecumseh believed in unifying our people and bringing the various nations
together. He didn't believe in war. He believed in securing the position of
our people through peaceful means, and we want to build on that spirit with
this particular gathering."

Reprinted under the Fair Use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html