And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 09:08:19 -0400
From: Barbara Crandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Dear Ish,

I have tried several times to get something posted on Native News, I do
not have the skill to do it. Would you please Find some way to post this
message.

A retaining wall in the west bank of Buckeye Lake, in the State of Ohio,
is crumbling. The stones holding the water back at the presant time came
from a large stone Indian burial mound. The mound was located south of
I-70 and east of state Rt. 13. {between Columbus and zanseville Ohio}The
state of Ohio has decided to drive steel plates in the water edge and
dump fill dirt behind it. This will cover these sacred stones up for
ever.

According to an article in a Smithsonian Instiute paper, The author
Charles Whittlesey wrote that when he  visited there in 1838,the mound
had been originally forty feet high with a base of one hundred eight
feet in diameter. The stone had been removed and a hugh cavity was left.
See DESCRIPTIONS OF ANCIENT  WORKS  IN OHIO, 1850.

The stones were hauled to buckeye lake and used as a retaining wall. The
men working on the canal, was ordered by the state to  hauled the stones
and build the wall. They hauled over a thousand wagon loads of stone.

The Native American Alliance has been working with the Dept. Og Energy
for 5 years getting land put into a Memorial Indian park to bury the old
ones now laying in Museum and Universitys. The land will remain federal
property. We want these stone taken out of the water and hauled to
Cincinnati, Ohio to be used to make memorial markers for the burial
gounds.

We need letters written to the

Edward Frank
P.O. 488
Millersport, Ohio  43046

Please take time to set a few words down on paper and send them to Mr.
Frank, it will mean so much to the project here in Ohio.

Barbara Crandell
P. O. Box 502
Thornville, Ohio  43076

Fax  &40-246-5624