And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:29:19 -0700
From: arthur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 Please post widely
From: THE NORTHWEST LEONARD PELTIER SUPPORT NETWORK
          TACOMA OFFICE
          P.O. BOX 5464
          TACOMA, WA 98415-0464 USA
          e-mail; [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                  5TH ANNUAL
               INTERNATIONAL INDIGENOUS PEOPLE'S DAY
    SOLIDARITY WITH LEONARD PELTIER AND FIRST NATIONS
             MARCH AND RALLY/ U.S./CANADIAN BORDER
                             OCTOBER 10, 1999

MARCH STARTING POINT: 12:00 NOON, BLAINE PARK, (CORNER
OF BLAINE & ALDER)  BLAINE, WASHINGTON

RALLY: 1:00 P.M. PEACE ARCH PARK, U.S./CANADIAN BORDER

    STATEMENT OF PURPOSE

  Our annual gathering at the U.S./Canadain Border on International
Indigenous People's Day is a coming together of activists and
supporters from both sides of the border as an expression of solidarity
and honoring the international Indigenous People's struggles. It is a
statement that the border placed upon the land does not divide us.
  We have been told to respect this day and we do so organizing a
respectful event that is suitable for Elders, children and people of all
ages. We welcome the involvement of all people of all communities in
the spirit of solidarity, honoring and respect.

  ORGANIZING FOR INDIGENOUS PEOPLE'S WEEKEND
  We are organizing our border march and rally as a part of a series of
events that we are calling Indigeneous People's Weekend. The following
are some of the events that we are begining to plan and organize.
  1. October 8th: INDIGENOUS  PEOPLE'S JUSTICE RALLY at the
Washington State Capital in Olympia along with an evening event.
  2. THE CARAVAN FOR JUSTICE. This would be a caravan to the
border. It has been suggested that it begin in Oregon and start off on
October 9th in Olympia then on to Tacoma, Seattle and maybe other
stops. We will be working on finding a place for it's evening stop with a
meal and evening event. It is possible this could take place on Lummi
land. On the morning of Oct. 10th the caravan would continue to Blaine
for the march and rally at the border.
  3. THE RUN FOR JUSTICE. For the last two years young people have
held a Run For Justice as part of our Indigenous People's Weekend.
This year we hope to include many more young people in this run. The
run would leave the Lummi Nation on October 9th and continue on the
10th and would met up with the march in Blaine. There the runners
would led the march to the border.
  4. INDIGENOUS PEOPLE'S DAY POTLUCK. After the rally at the
border we hope to have a potluck meal which would include an open
mike for people to express their views of the day through speaking and
music.
  Though the NORTHWEST LEONARD PELTIER SUPPORT NETWORK
is sponsoring the organizing of this annual event, all individuals,
organizations and groups that support this important weekend are
encouraged to help in anyway that they can. Our contact list will be
growing but for now you can contact the following people.
  1. For information and suggestions on speakers and performers
contact NWLPSN Advisor Susan Morales at: (253) 627-8435 (home
phone evenings), pager with voice mail 253-593-9631, e-mail;
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2. For donations, or to be placed on the NWLPSN mailing list or e-mail
list contract NWLPSN Secretary-Treasurer Carol Reed, 5201 Capitol
Blvd P.M.B. 119, Tumwater, WA 98501, (360) 943-3274, e-mail
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  3. For fliers, posters, articles, and logistically organizing contact
NWLPSN Coordinator Arthur J. Miller, P.O. Box 5464, Tacoma, WA
98415-0464, (253) 383-9108, e-mail; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  NWLPSN WEB SITE
http://members.aol.com/TurquoisWm/JusticeforLeonardPeltier.html

  The struggles of Indigenous People, though often over looked by many,
should be of concern to all those that believe in social justice. For within
these struggle will be found direct connections to all other social
concerns, human rights, environmentalism,anti-racism, peace and the
struggle against global domination of multi-national corporations. The
following piece out of Leonard's Peltiers new book "Prison Writings; My
Life Is My Sun Dance" describes what was behind the events that
happen on Pine Ridge and why he is in prison.

  "Since that time, the uranium mining opposed at such high cost in the
early 1970s has proceeded insidiously. Lakota people today drink
contaminated water and experience a rate of miscarriage and
spontaneous abortion seven times the national average. Our sacred
Black Hills, according to the master plan, were to have been declared a
"national sacrifice area"--ultimately, were the plan to proceed, to be
ringed by more than a dozen giant coal-fired plants and twenty-five
nuclear reactors. A cat's-cradle grid of power lines was to be flung
across the Pine Ridge and Rosebud reservations in order to carry the
power eastward. Court challenges to the horrendous environmental
impact this nuclear monstrosity would inevitably cause have blessedly
slowed the enactment of the plan; so has the drop in uranium prices
caused by the end of the Cold War; but when the uranium market starts
moving up again, watch out. The energy interests are simply biding their
time for the most profitable moment to begin yet again. The death of a
people and a way of life, not to mention the death of the land itself, never
enters into the considerations of those who would foist this abomination
on the Lakota People--and on the people of America as well. That's why
the FBIs would come down on us so hard, because AIM and the
traditional Elders were the only ones who stood in their way. Everyone
else either didn't know, didn't care, or had sold out.
  I have no doubt whatsoever that the real motivation behind both
Wounded Kneee II and the Oglala firefight, and much of the turmoil
throughout Indian Country since the eary 1970s, was--and is--the mining
companies' desire to muffle AIM and all traditional Indian people, who
sought--and still seek--to protect the land, water, and air from their thefts
and depredations. In this sad and tragic age we live in, to come to the
defense of Mother Earth is to be branded a criminal."
                                                             Leonard
Peltier

Reprinted under the Fair Use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html