And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Second Annual Sharing Circle For Prisoners,
ex-Prisoners and Their Families - August 08,
1999 9:00a.m. to 6:00p.m.

http://www.afn.ca/Main.htm

NATIVE SPECIFIC PROGRAMMING
HEALING THROUGH TRADITIONS CULTURE AND
SPIRITUALITY
(Adults and Young Offenders)

Place: FOUR POINTS SHERATON HOTEL
1150 Wellington Road South
London, Ontario
(2 Blocks North of Hwy. 401)
Lunch Provided

August 10th is Prison Justice Day. This is a day to commemorate those men
and women who have died in Canada's Prison System. On this day prisoners
will refuse to eat and report to work for the day. Memorial services will
be held in prison chapels and gymnasiums. It is also a day for support
groups to bring to the attention of the general public the injustices and
abuses that continue in the Canadian prison system.

We, First Nations People, are seriously over represented in the Canadian
prison system (seven times the National average). Our disproportionate over
representation is equally high in Children's Aid Society and the Young
Offender System of Canada. This systematic institutionalization, of Native
peoples is a continuation of the forced assimilation (genocide) that
transpired against Native youth who lived and died the Residential School
experience.

We are encouraging all Native people who have spent time in Residential
School, Children's Aid Society, Juvenile Centres (i.e., Bowmanville
Training School etc.), Young Offender Centres, Adult Provincial Reformatory
and the Federal Penitentiary to share some of your experiences with us.
Whether it was 30 years ago or 30 days ago, it needs to be heard. No one
else is going to tell our story and "Our Sharing" can be the beginning of
the implementation of Native specific programs and policy that will end the
systematic suppression of Native Brotherhood and Sisterhood groups inside
Canada's Adult prisons and Young Offender Centres. Empowering the Native
Brotherhood and Sisterhood groups culturally, socially and spiritually will
instill functional behaviors and life styles and reduce the high recidivism
rate our people suffer.

 Homelands Native Prisoner Support
 Paralegal Service
 Paul Doxtator (519) 652-1048