And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 08:17:05 -0400
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Lynne Moss-Sharman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Princess Anne given name

Monday, July 26, 1999
Princess Anne given native name
Ogimaa Kwens: Ojibway ceremony bestows title Little Royal Lady

Chris Wattie
National Post

WINNIPEG - Princess Anne has a new name today, courtesy of a Canadian
Ojibway elder. The Queen's daughter can now call herself Ogimaa Kwens,
which means Little Royal Lady, after a formal aboriginal naming ceremony in
Winnipeg by First Nations and Metis leaders. "I didn't actually hear her
pronounce it aloud, so perhaps she didn't get a chance to practice it,"
says Stu Fawcett, a Manitoba government spokesman who was present at the
ceremony. "But the princess was very gracious and gave every appearance of
enjoying the ceremony."

The tradition of giving names to members of the Royal Family dates back to
the signing of treaties between the Crown and First Nations bands up to 100
years ago. Queen Victoria was given native name, as was Princess Anne's
mother, Queen Elizabeth. They were both named Ogimaa Kwe, meaning Royal
Lady. The princess sat on an oak chair with a red velvet cushion, atop a
buffalo robe carpet during the
ceremony yesterday, which was attended by about 150 native leaders.

Ojibway elder Tobasonakwut called Princess Anne by her new name four times
then offered her a symbolic eagle feather. He said it was an honour to be
chosen as the one to give the princess her new
name. "It is a recognition of sovereignty on our part, as well as the
sovereignty of the people that came from England."

Afterwards, Princess Anne was made a gift of a jacket by Phil Fontaine,
chief of the Assembly of First Nations. "It signifies," he said, "the high
regard the monarchy is held by our people and it's an opportunity to
reaffirm the bond between the queen and her family and our people here."
Several Manitoba native leaders who have been critical of the government's
treatment of aboriginals, were invited to the ceremony but were noticeably
absent. But a planned demonstration at the event by native activists failed
to materialize.

              "Let Us Consider The Human Brain As
               A Very Complex Photographic Plate"
                    1957 G.H. Estabrooks