And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

From: Lynne Moss-Sharman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Government wanted fish war - Marshall

Government sought fish 'war,' Marshall tells Western natives

                  Ross Henderson  Ottawa Citizen  10/10/99
                  Citizen Special; with files from The Canadian Press

                 EDMONTON -- Donald Marshall, Jr., whose Supreme Court Appeal
confirmed native treaty rights to off-season fishing, says the federal government
wanted to see native and non-native fishermen "at war."

"Well, right now I think non-native fishing and the native fishing people, the people
from the towns, they're starting to realize who caused the problem," he said after
speaking to students at the Hobbema First Nation.

"It was the Department of Fisheries and the federal government. And they're the ones.
They wanted to see us at war," he said. "That's the last thing we want to do. We want
to clarify this in a fair way and a positive way."

Mr. Marshall, a Mi'kmaq, was convicted in 1996 for catching and selling fish without a
licence. He won his appeal to the Supreme Court that his rights were protected by a
1760 treaty.

Although he attended a Halifax meeting between Federal Fisheries Minister Herb
Dhaliwal and the 35 chiefs of Atlantic Policy Congress of First Nation Chiefs, he said
it's now out of his hands.

"I think I did what I could do."

The chiefs declared a 30-day moratorium on native fishing and want an agreement on
implementing the Marshall decision.

But, Mr. Marshall said he could understand why some natives on the impoverished New
Brunswick Burnt Church Reserve would continue to fish in defiance of the moratorium.

"I can see their point," Mr. Marshall said. "I watched the news clippings and it
really made me feel good about myself."

Yesterday, the forces of nature were sufficient to keep defiant native lobster
fishermen off the waters of Miramichi Bay. Strong, cold winds, high seas and rain
turned the eastern New Brunswick shore into a no-fishing zone.

The fishermen of the Mi'kmaq Burnt Church reserve remain defiant and determined to
pursue out-of-season fishing and hunting, despite a call by Atlantic chiefs to stay
off the water.

Most fishermen have only small open boats, and they're not about to risk their lives
for the treaty rights that have provoked turmoil and violence in the New Brunswick
lobster fishery.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Canada - Whites Only Immigration advertisements
October 10, 1999   'let's call a spade a spade'
     Ad calls for whites-only immigration
              By KEVIN CONNOR -- Winnipeg Sun

Only people from Aryan nations should be allowed to immigrate to Canada, says an ad
purchased by a fledgling political group which ran in most major newspapers across the
nation yesterday.  But not one publication questioned the carefully worded ad from the
Coalition for a Humanistic British Canada, said the group's Iranian founder Michael
Chessman.  The advertisement says there needs to be a massive increase in immigration
from the United Kingdom -- but those from Germany, France, Russia and Ukraine should
be welcomed as well. "We're not racist but we have to protect our homeland. We have to
stop taking people who are used to eating beans and rice and feeding them sausage and
pork chops in soup kitchens while English children don't have proper toys to play
with," Chessman said from his downtown Toronto home. "We can't take someone from
Jamaica and make them a teacher of our children -- that's abuse. Lets call a spade a
spade. These immigrants can't relate to the rest of us an!
!
d th
ey don't appreciate they fall short of the mark. They scare nice British gals."  The
ad also says Canada needs to end multiculturalism and affirmative action policies
which are "racist against moral, Christian, British people," Chessman said. GROUP'S
FOUNDER IS IRANIAN Ironically, Chessman admitted under protest that he is Iranian when
asked about his nationality.  "That question doesn't help the cause. I grew up
speaking English and I look like Italian stock," Chessman said. The ad will be brought
to the attention of the police's hate crime unit, said Staff Sgt. Frank Minaker with
the Winnipeg Police Service.  The coalition could be a front for another hate group,
said Claudia Wright, a political scientist specializing in minorities and affirmative
action at the University of Winnipeg. "It sounds racist ... the language alerts me.
They are obviously uncomfortable with the diversity of Canadian society," Wright said.
Chessman has the right to offend people, said Paul Fromm, he!
!
ad o
f the Canadian Association for Free Expression, which supports Ernst Zundel, a Toronto
man whom the government is trying to deport for alleged hate crimes.  "Anglo-Saxon
common law gives (Chessman) the right to voice his opinions," Fromm said.

According to its ad, the coalition also believes in mandatory dress codes whereby men
would wear traditional trousers instead of jeans, women would wear dresses and skirts
that don't expose too much and children would wear uniforms.  Chessman says he has $1
million to finance the cause -- money he claims was donated by a "well-meaning
Canadian" who doesn't want to be identified. After more national advertising blitzes,
Chessman says he will register the party with Elections Canada and begin a recruitment
drive.

               "Let Us Consider The Human Brain As
                A Very Complex Photographic Plate"
                     1957 G.H. Estabrooks