And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:05:48 EDT
Subject: MENDOTA

Dear Friends,  Things here have been really crazy, there have been more
arrests with the police acting in a brutal manner.  One young man was caught
by himself last week and he ended up with a broken ankle, he was kicked
during his arrest.  We have asked anyone who has been visiable in our
support to please not travel alone through this area. A week and a half a
ago some of our supporters occupied a extremely large cottonwood tree that
was slated to be cut down. Seven people went up into the tree to try to stop
the destruction. Equipment was brought in to try to remove these kids, three
of them were brought down and four remained for almost a week.  This was
after many of the lower branches were cut out from under the remaining four.
squad cars were stationed 24 hours a day under the tree to prevent any food
or water being brought to these kids.  Police sat with their spot lights on
the four all night to keep them awake, and to prevent any help from reaching
them.  Leo and I had to attend the National Congress of American Indians and
only heard about much of this from our family and friends.  We feel that we
made some real progress and important contacts at the National Congress and
we are planning strategies to continue our fight to save our sacred lands.
The camp has been observation by state troopers constantly this week and we
don't know when MNDOT plans to move on the encampment, but everyone feels it
will be soon.  Last week they came into remove trees within a block of the
encampment.  They would come in with one man with a chain saw and cut 10-15
trees, of course they also had state troopers sent in with him, the trees
would be cut and then they quickly left before we had time to activate phone
trees or call the media. We have managed to take some cuttings from these
trees to prove how old some of the trees in this area really are.  I hope
that all of you will all continue your support and prayers, we really need
them now.  Take care everyone, Pidamiya, Love Linda