Ishgooda
Editor, Native News

Is EMU debate over nickname worth the fight?
Friday, December 10, 1999
http://aa.mlive.com/sports/index.ssf?/sports/stories/19991210acol10.frm

AA few years ago, my church got new hymnals.

In an attempt to make them a little more mainstream and inclusive, the wording was
changed in some songs, and some old favorites were left out. And even though we still
have the old hymnals and still use them from time to time, some people have stayed
away in protest.

There are a couple of ways to look at that. One is that they stood up for something
they believed in; the other is that they were willing to walk away from that part of
their lives over a relatively small, well-intentioned change.

And I have to wonder if that's worth the cost.

About nine years ago, Eastern Michigan's athletic teams got a new nickname.

In an attempt to keep from offending Native American students, EMU dropped its Huron
nickname and logo, even though some Huron tribe members say they weren't offended in
the first place.

It has been almost a decade since the nickname change, and a lot of people on both
sides of the issue are sick of the fight. But this is the Pandora's box of athletic
issues. The hurt and bad feelings that have come out over the last nine years will
haunt EMU well into the next century. And there's no way to stuff it all back inside.

Restore the nickname? That only opens up the debate from the other side. The groups
that supported the change in the first place haven't gone away, either. This week,
they picketed three Ypsilanti businesses that display the Huron logo.

It won't end anytime soon because everyone believes they're fighting the good fight.

EMU's outgoing president, Dr. William Shelton, has said it was a matter of doing right
by EMU's Native American students back in 1990. The Huron Wyandotte tribe chiefs say
the EMU nickname and logo were a fine way to keep the tribe's name alive.

On those two fronts the issue is simple because neither will listen to a word the
other has to say anymore. But there's no easy answer in this complicated, emotional
mess.

On one hand, you've got Native American students at EMU who are against the whole idea
of using a tribal name for a nickname, whether it's intended with respect or not. They
want nothing to do with the stereotypes.

On the other hand, you've got a core of alumni and community members who are fiercely
proud of the old nickname and don't see how it hurts anyone. They love their school
and they see only one way to make EMU whole again.

It may help to understand that some of those alumni were part of the grassroots effort
that kept the Mid-American Conference from kicking EMU out in the mid-1980s. So what
does that have to do with nicknames?

Imagine your school is in trouble and you get caught up in a community effort to save
the day. You sweat and you work, and eventually you get it done. Nothing brands itself
on your soul quite like being part of something larger than yourself. It's a
wonderful, powerful feeling.

Now imagine your school, the one you've invested so much in, makes an unpopular
change, and its administration enforces the change with all the subtlety of a cattle
prod.

Anger. Alienation. Resentment.

Then you start to think, "Hey, we did it before and made everything right. We can do
it again." And the Huron Restoration Alumni Chapter is born.

EMU might have helped the transition by actively recognizing and embracing its Huron
history. But in its enthusiasm to make the change complete, the school went to the
other extreme. There are stories of people salvaging old trophies with "Hurons" on
them from dumpsters.

The problem with the Huron issue is that it has become a symbol of an administration
that Huron supporters feel is trying to push them around.

I liked the Huron nickname. It was unique and I think EMU treated it well. You
certainly don't have to like Eagles, which is as generic a nickname as there is. But
EMU is more than a nickname. And if you've stayed away because of it, at some point
you've got to decide for yourself if it's worth the cost.

You can reach Whitesall at 734-994-6815, or e-mail her at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"We simply chose an Indian as the emblem.
  We could have just as easily chosen any
uncivilized animal."
   Eighth Grade student writing about his school's
   mascot, 1997
<<<<=-=  http://www.tdi.net/ishgooda/racial/  =-=>>>>

<<<<=-=-=FREE LEONARD PELTIER!!!=-=-=>>>>