What does it mean to be an Open Source author?

A story from the inside
Laurent Cohen .

I hear daily about open source projects, the open source business model,
what it means in terms of freedom, choice, risks, investment, etc...
What I rarely hear about is what is life like for those who actually
contribute and dedicate a part of their life to open source?

I do not pretend to understand how it is for most open source
contributors, or even that there are patterns to understand. However I
do believe that there are stories worth telling. Here is mine, I'll let
you appreciate ... or not :)

First, the project is called JPPF (Java Parallel Processing Framework)
and that's all I'm going to say about it. This article is not about the
project itself, but about the difference it makes and the impact it has
in people's lives, including mine.

more...
http://www.jroller.com/jppf/entry/what_does_it_mean_to