[ quote of the month. /m ]

Tristan Taormino: "Porn Is As Cerebral As It Is Visceral"

http://jezebel.com/344701/tristan-taormino-porn-is-as-cerebral-as-it-
is-visceral

Village Voice columnist, author, adult film director, anal sex guru,
and all-around sex educator Tristan Taormino is one of the most
quotable women I've ever met in my life. When I interviewed her on
Friday morning in Vivid Entertainment's booth at the Adult
Entertainment Expo, I was having a hell of a time -- in my hung-over
condition, mind you -- trying to write as fast as she talked.
Seriously, I haven't worked my hand that hard since, well actually,
since I got home last night and watched Chemistry 3, the latest
installment of her reality DVD series that's sort of an experiment in
pornography. Tristan puts six porn stars in a house for 36 hours,
with no script, shooting schedule or scene requirements, and lets the
sex happen naturally, allowing the performers to establish their own
boundaries (or lack thereof). It's concepts like this that has
Tristan challenging the existing order of things in the adult
industry, as well as challenging typically non-porn watching
audiences to open their minds to something they hadn't realized they
could enjoy. Oh, and also, she's kuh-raaazy smart.
Lately, more than ever, there seems to have been a resurgence of
second wave-y anti-porn sentiment in feminism -- and even on Jezebel
-- which to me, is weird for many reasons, perhaps most notably
because mainstream people seem to be embracing the idea of
pornography more than ever. I mean, the pages of O magazine even
recommend a sex-positive attitude about porn, for crying out loud.
Tristan agreed that it's growing trend, citing Ariel Levy's Female
Chauvinist Pigs as an example.

"Porn has always been, and continues to be a huge issue for women. I
don't know if the debate will ever be over," Tristan said, "But it's
hard to hear from other feminists. They haven't seen my porn, they
haven't seen Candida Royalle or Belladonna. So they don't see that
porn is not one monolithic thing that's all bad."

When asked how she deals with that, she said that she believes
everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that they should watch her
movies before expressing it to her. "Porn is complicated. [The
perception of it by the public] has been over simplified. Porn is as
cerebral as it is visceral."

And that makes sense, considering many of her movies are educational.
Her Expert Guides series (for anal, cunnilingus and fellatio) sort of
break the porno mold: She's into organic and authentic climaxes. ("I
would rather the actors share a part of their sexuality, than have me
tell them what to do.") And in the Guide to Cunnilingus, there aren't
any penis penetration shots, which, she said, Vivid initially told
her wouldn't work, because "if there's no cock, there's no scene."

But changing the way things are done is all part of Tristan's master
plan. "Everything I do is deliberate--very deliberate."