I think Keith's response is phrased particularly well. A conversation that does
not overtly involve money is still funded in some way …  otherwise there would
be no way to use a network to send it and receive it and we would not have the
leisure to participate.

To keep the list supposedly pure of financial solicitations obfuscates the
economic structures that support our ability to be on the list in the first
place. I would appreciate being saved from irrelevant requests or requests that
are obviously not from a reader / participant of the list, but why not let the
subscribers decide in the rest of the cases?

With Ryan I also say thanks for suggesting we discuss this issue.

Chris

On Aug 27, 2012, at 2:27 PM, Keith Hart <ke...@thememorybank.co.uk> wrote:

> Capitalism's moral economy is based on the separation of a sphere
> where money is paid from one where it is not. This leads to a
> fetishized notion that money has the power to transform social
> relations. I would not make the money issue decisive in this case.
> The mods should decide on the basis of the intellectual quality of a
> bid for crowdfunding. If it is little better than spam, kick it out.
> Otherwise let us decide if we want to read it or not. It doesn't take
> long to make a decision of that sort, maybe 5-10 seconds.
 <...>

#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nett...@kein.org