Hi all,

I have Mandrake 8.1 installed and am using KDE. I bought what I thought was a
Linux-compatible modem (it says so on the damn box), yet when I try to
install in Hardrake it shows the correct modem id but won't configure it as
it says it's a Winmodem. I'm a bit ticked by that, but anyway..

I went to USR.com and downloaded their rpm file for Linux which is saved as
LNUX_3ComMdm-1.0-1.i386.rpm and did a rpm -i. It errors out with the message
that IRQ 12 is in use.

Hardrake offers advice to be found at www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
and that's nice, but truthfully it's all a bit over my head and setserial
didn't work for me either.  My modem model is USR325610b.

Someone please help and hold the acronyms please. :-)