Franki wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In order to get my network card going again.. I had to upgrade my win2000
> laptop to winXP..
>
> surprisingly enough, its faster then it was, and I am surprisingly
> impressed in spite of myself..
>
> for an M$ OS.. its not that bad.. its not linux.. but its ok, ,and i have
> lots of USB burners and scanners and stuff so I need winblows on at least
> one PC..
>
> anyway,, onto my question..
>
> All the windows PC's on this network connect via a linux box hooked to my
> ADSL.. works fine..
>
> I just enabled the winXP firewall on my pcmcia network interface..
>
> and all PC's have just dropped of samba access to this box...
>
> I added port 139 to the open ports, but still can't access any shares on
> the linux box..
>
> What ports do I need to open to allow samba or smb shares to be available
> on the xp box???
>

> rgds
>
> frank

Hi,

Samba related ports are:
------------------------

* Port number: 135
- Common name(s): msrpc
- Common service(s): Microsoft RPC
- Service description(s): Microsoft Remote Procedure call, used for SMB
file/print sharing.
- Common server(s): Microsoft print and file sharing, Samba
- Common client(s): Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Samba

* Port number: 137
- Common name(s): netbiosns
- Common service(s): NetBIOS nameservice
- Service description(s): Network Basic Input Output System name service,
used by SMB file and print sharing
- Common server(s): Microsoft print and file sharing, Samba
- Common client(s): Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Samba

* Port number: 138
- Common name(s): netbiosdgm, NetBIOS DataGram service
- Common service(s): NetBIOOS DataGram service
- Service description(s): Network Basic Input DataGram service, used by SMB
file and print sharing
- Common server(s): Microsoft print and file sharing, Samba
- Common client(s): Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Samba

* Port number: 139
- Common name(s): netbiosssn
- Common service(s): NetBIOS Session Service
- Service description(s): NNetBIOS Session Service, used by SMB file and
print sharing
- Common server(s): Microsoft print and file sharing, Samba
- Common client(s): Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Samba

* Port number: 445
- Common name(s): microsoftds, win2kcifs
- Common service(s): Microsoft Domain Service, Windows 2000/XP Common
Internet File Sharing
- Service description(s): Used by SMB file and print sharing in Windows
2000 and XP
- Common server(s): Microsoft print and file sharing, Samba
- Common client(s): Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Samba

Source: http://www.seifried.org/security/

Cheers,
Sylvestre Taburet - Mandrakesoft, Paris.
"Why did the Philharmonic disband?
- Excessive sax and violins."

Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com