An Interview with Dr. Ulrich Wiesner (who filed a lawsuit
in Germany, deeming e-voting unconstitutional--AND WON!)
By Kathleen Wynne

http://www.opednews.com/articles/An-Interview-with-Dr-Ulri-by-Kathleen-Wynne-091015-701.html

"The very word secrecy is repugnant in a free and open society; and
we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret
societies, to secret oaths and to secret proceedings." John F. Kennedy

No words were ever more relevant than these are when it comes to our
elections and the counting of our votes. When did secrecy take
precedence over transparency in the counting of our votes in America
through the use of electronic voting systems and, more importantly,
why? What the majority of Americans have NOT heard about, but most
election reform advocates are already aware of,isthe German
Constitutional Court's recent decision to ban electronic voting in
Germany by ruling it "unconstitutional."

Let's think about this for a minute. By using a Constitution, similar
to our own, and which had to be approved of by the U.S. after World
War II, Germany has, through its High Court, determined that
computerized, secret vote counting does not subscribe to the
democratic standards of their country! Yet, still here in America,
95% of us are using some sort of computerized voting system to cast
and/or count our ballots---completely government sanctioned,
corporate controlled,using software protected from public scrutiny by
trade secret laws. NO ONE can guarantee even a single voter that
their vote is being counted as cast. What's wrong with this picture?

It is, indeed, encouraging that support is growing for a return to
public hand-counts here in the U.S. and, as a result, we may someday
soon reach a "critical mass" of support largeenough to put pressure
on our courts to also recognize this fundamental right and "persuade"
them to rule in a similar fashion as the German Court. When that day
comes, we will be forever indebted to our German counterparts.

Obviously, the significance of the German Court's ruling is not only
a sea change in how elections will be administered in Germany , which
are now to be done by properly administered public hand-counts, but I
see it as a powerful new tool that can be used by election reform
advocates in achieving similar reform in the U.S.

Bev Harris, Founder of Black Box Voting.org and Paul Lehto, an
attorney from Washington State and election reform advocate have both
written excellent articles analyzing the Court's decision to ban
electronic voting and are must reads.

Harris' article, Let's Get Off The Hampster Wheel, was featured in
Democracy For New Hampshire (as well as on other websites):
(http://www.democracyfornewhampshire.com/node/view/6517)

Lehto's article, Germany Bans Computerized Voting, Will Hand Count in
2009, was featured in OpEdNews (as well as on other websites):
http://www.opednews.com/articles/Germany-bans-computerized-by-Paul-Lehto-090303-583.html

[On a personal note, I am extremely gratified to have discovered that
the arguments made by the Court in banning electronic voting were
almost the exact same arguments made to election officials and
Congress by those of us in the election reform community who chose to
be totally committed to a return to public hand-counts for the past
3+ years. I, along with a small group of public hand count advocates,
in particular, Dr. Sheila Parks, Founder of the Center for
Hand-Counted Paper Ballots http://www.handcountedpaperballots.org/
and Vickie Karp and Karen Renick, Co-Directors of VoteRescue.org,
decided early on to oppose compromise of any kind thatwould require
the use of voting machines,audits,exit polls,ormail-inballots,
i.e.,anything other than public hand counts,asan acceptableway
ofcountingthe votes. In fact, the Court's ruling actually supported
our unequivocal position that "the only experts in our elections
should be the citizens themselves." When average citizens with no
legal expertise are vindicated by such a venerable body of legal
experts, it is for me, testament to the absolute need to recognize
and honor the "principles of transparency" in elections, which can
ONLY be achieved through public hand-counts.]

After reading Harris's and Lehto's analyses, as well as reading the
Court's decision in its entirety, I immediately recognized the
importance of locating the father (Joachim Wiesner) and son (Ulrich
Wiesner), who had filed the lawsuit and then persuade them to tell
their story to the American people.

Dr. Ulrich Wiesner holds a Ph.D. in Physics and works as a consultant
for a U.S.-American Software Company. His father, Joachim, is a
retired political scientist. Together, they filed the lawsuit with
Germany 's Federal Constitutional Court after the German parliament
had rejected a petition drive promoted by the Wiesners, which had
been signed by over 45,000 people to try to ban electronic voting
back in 2005.

Even "cell phones are better protected against manipulation," said
Ulrich Wiesner in an interview with SPIEGEL ONLINE. The Wiesners were
making the case that the security concerns surrounding electronic
voting machines are so great that they run afoul of the German
constitution, which mandates that elections be open and transparent.

Nonetheless, German politicians were still skeptical that the court
would rule against the machines. In an interview with German radio,
Max Stadler, a member of parliament with the German liberal Free
Demoocrat Party (FDP), said "it was very unlikely the court would
rule in the Wiesners' favor, a move which might force the court to
invalidate parts of the 2005 election. Stadler said he personally
favors paper ballots because they inspire confidence in the
electorate and possess a "certain charm." Ultimately, though, he
argued that the issue was a policy question, not a constitutional
one. To our good fortune, the Court did not agree with Stadler's
position.

So, after jumping through various hoops and several e-mails later,
Dr. Wiesner finally received my request for him to please contact me
and he did. In our first conversation, we talked about the security
issues surrounding electronic voting, which continues to be the core
issue election reform advocates have been tangling with in the U.S.,
and he told me, "We should not waste our time arguing about machine
security because citizens would never win that argument with the
experts." "Besides", he said, "the Court's decision was not based on
voting machine security anyway."

Dr. Wiesner kindly agreed to be interviewed on Deadline Live, a
nationally syndicated radio show in Austin , Texas, hosted by Jack
Blood, who generously agreed to play the interview live in a "Special
Edition" 2-hour show, which aired on October 7, 2009. I then promptly
invited Bev to join us to offer her comments and questions in this
much-anticipated conversation. Following is the YouTube link to that
entire interview.

[Note: The two-hour interview is broken down into 12 parts. The first
half hour is with Jack Blood, Bev and I setting the stage for the
interview with Dr. Wiesner, followed by the hour-long interview with
Dr. Wiesner. The final half-hour is a recap and commentary of the
interview by Jack, Bev and me]:

click here

I hope that after listening to the interview, you will ask yourselves
"how is the German Court 's ruling of the unconstitutionality of
electronic voting under the Germany Constitution any different from
it also being considered unconstitutional by an American court under
our own constitution?"

As Paul Lehto noted in his article, German Court Honors U.S.
Democratic Principles
(http://www.democracyfornewhampshire.com/node/view/6516):

The March 3, 2009 ruling interprets the German Constitution, which
became effective right after the December 10, 1948 passage date of
the Universal Declaration of Human Rights by the United Nations. Soon
thereafter, Germany 's new Constitution "came into effect May 23,
1949, with the signature of the Allies," specifically including the
United States . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grundgesetz (paragraph
one)

Approval of the German Constitution by the United States and
occupying powers was conditional on two non-negotiable terms: (1)
Complete rejection of master race theory and with it the treatment of
other groups with barbarism or worse, and (2) an unequivocal
commitment to the inviolability and inalienability of human rights.

The last time I looked, both Germany AND the U.S. are still
considered to be democratic republics, with similar constitutions,
when it comes to protecting a citizen's human rights, governed by the
rule of law, with a representative government duly elected by the
people. In light of the German Court 's ground-breaking decision, it
is very disturbing that our mainstream media has been virtually
silent in reporting this very important decision, particularly, in
how it correlates to the elections process in the U.S. Why?

More importantly, neither the U.S. courts nor our legislative branch
of government have acknowledged that, with this decision, the German
Court put forth thehuman rights argumentthat meantprotecting a German
citizen's right to see their votes counted, without specialized
technical knowledge beingrequired as a priority over everything else;
a decision,I believe,should also be appliedby our courts on behalf of
American citizens.

Of course, we can expect to hear from voting machine vendors, members
of Congress and many election officials their usual response to a
request by citizens for any kind of change from the status quo --
"We've already spent billions of taxpayer dollars implementing these
voting systems throughout the country and it would simply be too
costly and impractical to get rid of them." I say,preserving and
protecting a citizen's human rights inthe elections process
--PRICELESS.

Back