On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, you wrote:

> I think about an bug in newsx. I have the same problem.

Which news server are you using? C news? INN 1.x? INN 2.x?

Did just the "history" file, or did the "history.pag" and "history.dir"
files disappear too?

Does everything begin to work if you rebuild the database?

In newsx, the history database is only accessed via dbz, and
then only as strictly read/only.

A small shell-script wrapper round newsx may help clarify this. Replace
... with the newsx argument list, and adjust HIST as required:

        #!/bin/sh

        HIST="/var/lib/news/history"

        if ! test -e $HIST; then
                echo "history file lost before newsx started" `date`
                exit 1
        fi
        newsx ...
        if ! test -e $HIST; then
                echo "history file lost while newsx was running" `date`
                exit 1
        fi
        exit 0

If this is a crontab thing, you'll get mailed whenever there is a
problem. Otherwise, you may want to send the echo statement by mail:

                echo "whatever" | mail myself

Egil
--
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway