On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, you wrote:

> In a recently
> added group, dk.edb.system.beos, no article ever appears. It has been
> added to our local group list, and newsx fetches from the entire dk.*
> hierarchy. Checking directly on the remote news server, there are
> articles in the group.

It should get them, of course. Here is my checklist for such things
(you've done a couple of those checks already):

  1.    Your newsfeeds file is OK.

  2.    Your active file /var/lib/news/active should contain:

                dk.edb.system.beos 0000000000 00001 y

        Now, if the first number is > 0, then your news system has
        already received articles, an you must look other places to find
        the problem.

  3.    The group is mentioned in the in.hosts file for the server
        you connect to.

                dk.edb.system.beos 0

        If it doesn't appear, then newsx has never attempted
        fetching it.

        If it does appear with an article index zero after it, as shown,
        newsx has found it locally, but has never found any articles.
        Either because the group did not exist on the remote server, or
        because it was never been used.

        If it does appear with a number > 0, then the case may be that:

        a)      The group may now be empty at the remote server, even
                though there has been articles there before.

        b)      Newsx may have fetched articles from it, which *may*
                have been rejected from the local server for some
                reason.

        c)      Newsx may just have bumped the article index to the latest

                available article, without fetching anything, due to a
                "--maxnew 0" or "--syncnew" option.

 4)     If this does not give any answers, the last resort is to run
        newsx with "--debug" set to a suitable level, and analyse the
        output. Level 1 can be enough, and 5 will usually always suffice.
        In the latter case, it can be benefitial to set "--window 0" to
        make the NNTP commands appear in a logical order.

        Redirect the newsx output to a file, and then have a look around
        all lines containing "dk.edb.system.beos", and that should give
        you the answer.

        To ensure that a few articles will be fetched, you can manually
        decrease the "dk.edb.system.beos" article index in the in.coming
        file a couple of notches.

Egil
--
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway