Hi Egil,

EK> The handling of missing outgoing batch files in newsx is quite simple:
EK> Complain and die.
EK>
EK> In addition, the newsx documentation is pretty thin in this area. It might
EK> be viewed as a newsserver problem, but since this will effect anyone
EK> setting up newsx for the first time, I really think something should be
EK> done about it.
EK>
EK> Some ideas are:
EK>
EK> 1. Newsx could detect the error, issue a message, but still go on
EK> fetching incoming news.
EK>
EK> 2. Newsx could automatically create an empty outgoing file. (Which
EK> is a bit touchy since this file really belongs to INN. And INN
EK> would need a "ctlinnd reload newsfeeds" to pick it up, wouldn't
EK> it?)
EK>
EK> 3. There could be a simple script that checks and sets up a new newsfeeds
EK> entry and an outgoing spool entry for you.
EK>
EK> A combination of 1 and 3 might perhaps not be so bad?
EK>
EK> Any ideas and comments?

Hm, I don't think it's that complicated.

1. As far as I can see, a newsfeeds entry has to be made, anyway.

2. If you make a newsfeeds entry, you have to ctlinnd reload newsfeeds (or
restart innd).

3. As soon as you ctlinnd newsfeeds (or restart innd), it will create the
appropriate outgoing file *by itself automatically*.

So there's really no need for newsx to do that or to modify its behaviour; if
anything, documentation should be more elaborate about this point.

I think the whole thing is more important concerning the incoming file that
only newsx needs, and that INN doesn't even know about. So far newsx complains
about it missing when it's started the first time. No problem actually, but
confusing for the newcomer. PersonalINN prevents this by generating an empty
incoming file automatically during configuration; maybe newsx should do
something similar (although there's nothing as a "configuration" function in
newsx, hmmm...)?

                Bye
                        Uli

Uli Zappe               E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                (NeXTMail,Mime,ASCII) PGP on request
Lorscher Strasse 5      WWW:    -
D-60489 Frankfurt       Fon:    +49 (69) 9784 0007
Germany                 Fax:    +49 (69) 9784 0042