On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, you wrote:

> With INN 2.0/newsx 1.0, the following worked fine:
> ME\
>     :*,!control,!junk,!*.test\
>     ::
>
> news.demon.co.uk\
>         :*,!local.*\
>         :Tf,Wnm:
>

> With the same configuration newsx1.4 tries to download evrything
> except "local.*" (inc. control & junk).

That is because newsx behaviour with INN was wrong in version 1.0 -
acting just like C news expects.

In INN mode it now does what INN does. I.e. it *prepends* anthing defined
for "ME" to the string defined for each external server. See "man
newsfeeds" for details. IMHO this INN behaviour might not be as logical,
but might be more practical?

At any rate, I believe you will get the expected behaviour by omitting
the initial "*" in your specification for each server:

        news.demon.co.uk\
                :!local.*\
                :Tf,Wnm:

> some test groups
> "*.test" which are not downloaded but anything I post to them
> is uploaded

AFAIK, unlike C news, the INN style does not really allow you to specify
assimetric behaviour, i.e. not fetching the same groups that you post to.

One (clumsy) way of doing this with newsx is to edit the inhosts file,
insert a tag and use the -e option.

There probably should be a more elegant way of specifying this - I'll
have to think about that.

Egil
--
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway