From: Ted Floyd <tfl...@aba.org<mailto:tfl...@aba.org>>
Subject: Re: [nfc-l] Chipping Sparrows, eastern Boulder County, Colorado - and
cuckoo lore
Date: July 23, 2013 10:26:01 AM EDT
To: "Kenneth V. Rosenberg" <k...@cornell.edu<mailto:k...@cornell.edu>>

And lest we all think we discover new things, here is an excerpt I recently
discovered while doing research on wintering migrants for a book project --
Bent's Life Histories never ceases to amaze me:

On "the mid-summer mid-bight and mid-sky gyrations of the Black-billed Cuckoos"
(from a letter from Gerald H, Thayer (1908) in sw. NH: "several years before we
discovered the nocturnal-flight phenomenon, we bean to be puzzled by the
extreme frequent of

Hi, Ken et al.

Here's an extraordinary paper from 1904:

http://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/auk/v021n01/p0045-p0050.pdf

The author, Henry H. Kopman, describes how he figured out the flight call of
the Veery. But what's mind-bending about this Henry Kopman is how much else he
knew. In describing how commonly he heard Veeries, he just drops in this line:

"[The Veery's nocturnal flight call] was caught up as frequently as the notes
of Yellow Warblers, Indigo Buntings, Sandpipers, Green Herons, and Night
Herons."

109 years ago, this guy knew Green Herons and night-herons. He knew Indigo
Buntings. He even knew warblers!

That's amazing to me. I think of warbler and sparrow flight calls as the last
frontier of NFC ID, and yet Henry Kopman was on it, big time, more than a
century ago.

And then the story gets even weirder. Kopman just lost interest. As far as I
can tell, he never published anything else on nocturnal flight calls (although
he published on other topics). Yes, a few folks kept the flame alive (Peterson
in his earlier guides, and Dick Pough too), but knowledge of NFS basically went
underground until, as Ken says, Bill Evans was out delivering pizza one night...

One other thought. The literature on nocturnal flight calls, ca. 1890-1910, is
extensive. Kopman wasn't the only one, not by a long shot. Search the
literature for  O. G. Libby, Paul Griswold Howes, and others, and see for
yourself!

Ted Floyd
tfl...@aba.org<mailto:tfl...@aba.org>
Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado

Ken, in Ithaca NY

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 20, 2013, at 10:24 AM, "Jeff Wells"