"What is the theory for decreased contact/NFC calls as the night wears on?"

I thought one hypothesis(?) was that in the middle of the night the birds
are actually too high to be able to hear?

Has anyone ever tested empirically what elevation birds migrate at?   I
would think this would be relatively easy to do by placing several
microphones at different elevations on large manmade structures
(turbines/radio towers) or the top of ridge/valley and then compare how
loud the nfc calls are.

Some of this might already be published.

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/nfc-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NFC-L