Hi, all.

I'm wondering if anybody has opinions, or even facts, regarding a flight
call I recorded during nautical dawn on Saturday, Nov. 2nd, 2013 over
Greenlee Preserve, eastern Boulder County, Colorado, USA.

I recorded the flight call three times, and I'm assuming that the three
calls came from the same bird, and that it was overhead. As you'll see (and
hear), the flight calls are faint. But I think there's enough
spectrographically for analysis.

The second call (presented here first) was the loudest, and it caught my
attention. I don't recall hearing the first flight call, and I heard the
third flight call only faintly.

Here's what I'm seeing on the spectrograms: All three are high-pitched (ca.
8 kHz), double-banded (upper band stronger than lower), fairly pure-tone
(i.e., little modulation), slightly descending throughout, and on average
108 milliseconds in duration (n=98, n=106, n=121 for the three flight
calls).

The entire calling sequence is too long for me to send to the list. (I
tried earlier, and the post bounced.) So these three clips are pretty
short. The low-frequency noise is the din of traffic; I was recording near
a busy road at a place where a lake and a marsh abut.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this one.

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado, USA

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/nfc-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NFC-L