Just a quick note. I'd concur that this is likely a Dickcissel. It falls in the
right frequency bounds for Dickcissel. It seems to have a few more "p's" in
that "fpppt" call than we might expect for Dickcissel. It's quality is not one
of musicality, which we might expect for a call with fully modulated and
inter-connected parts. The disconnected nature (lack of modulation) in
Dickcissel call is what seems to give it that "frappy" or flatulent quality.
Someone once described the call as similar in quality to a piece of the sound
kids use to make when the placed baseball cards in their bike spokes and rode
around the neighborhood. Kids don't do that anymore, but I can envision this
sound in my memory.

I recorded a couple of Dickcissels during last weekend's movement of birds.
Will post at a later time.

Sincerely,
Chris T-H

On Sep 21, 2014, at 11:29 PM, Jay K