Bill,

The Cornell folks could probably answer you more definitively, but I
think this is not a bug, but rather a result the way spectrograms are
generated. The spectrogram comes from sampling and analyzing successive
chunks of the waveform, so until enough time has gone by to encompass
the initial "chunk" of the waveform there's not enough information to
generate the spectrogram. You can change the delay by adjusting the
spectrogram parameters, and you should be able to calculate what the
delay will be as a function of those parameters, but there will always
be a lag.

The lag is small enough that it won't be noticeable unless you are
looking at a very short file, like an NFC. It may be that different
programs make different decisions about how the spectrogram lines up
with the wave form, so that the lag his masked in some programs.

Hope that helps.

Laura

On 1/22/2015 7:40 AM, Bill Evans wrote:
> When I open a short night flight call wav file in Raven, the waveform
> window begins at 0 sec but the accompanying spectrogram window doesn't
> begin at zero -- it begins after a few milliseconds. See attached example.
> It’s not something that one would note unless they are working with
> very short sound files, and perhaps wish to use such a short
> spectrogram in a publication.
> Anyone else notice this possible bug in Raven?
> Bill Evans
> --
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC-L_SubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>